Forgot to give you this

When it took her too long to say anything, he panicked.

“Crap!  If you don’t like it, we can have it exchanged.  All of them.”

“No!”

His face lost all its color and he took a deep shuddering breath. “No what?”  He asked her softly.

Mandy smiled at him sweetly and lifted her hand to stroke his cheek.  “No; the rings are perfect.  All of them.  And yes; I will be your girlfriend.”

Hearing her soft words warmed him, his whole body and soul filling up with the most glorious happiness he could ever imagine.

Mandy was completely lost to the complete peace and joy on his face, radiating out from him in waves and for the first time in a very long time, she was absolutely happy.

Only half aware of what he was doing he slid the ring onto her finger, very happy to feel that it fit almost perfectly.  Tyler did not know how long they sat there staring at each other, but he was brought back to the here and now when his mom impatiently wanted to know if they were going to be pitching up like he said they were.

[We’ll be there in a few minutes.  Is everybody else there?]

[All ready and waiting for you to show up.]

[Alright, we’ll come right through.]

“I’d better get you home before everybody starts harassing me.”  Even though he said the words, he made no move to start the car and it was only when her cell phone beeped that he broke out of the spell.

Still in a daze, he slowly drove the car onto the pack grounds to where their families where waiting for them.  He had to shake Mandy gently to bring her from her thoughts and he silently laughed at her confusion when she saw they had not stopped at either one of their homes.

Instead they were parked in the section where a couple of new houses have gone up.  Her confusion left as soon as she saw the people through the window to one of the houses and she willingly took his hand when he helped her out of the car.

Tyler kept hold of her hand as they walked up to the door and Mandy was unable to keep a happy smile off of her face.  As soon as she and Tyler walked into the house, her father and mother shot her a quick glance; and seeing her radiating her joy, they both relaxed and smiled at the both of them.

“So happy you could take the time to join us.”

Tyler pretended to frown at his little sister and swatted at her playfully.  “No need to be so cheeky missy.  I am still older than you.”

“Yeah, yeah.”  Ellie replied as she rolled her eyes at her big brother while everybody else laughed at them.

“So, whose place is this one going to be?”  Mandy asked as she took a peek into the kitchen over the counter top dividing the open plan lounge and dining room area from the kitchen.

When Alex cleared his throat, she glanced back at them in time to see Alex hand a small box to Tyler.

“What?”  She asked as she noticed the looks of anticipation their family members shared.

“Actually Mandy,” Tyler said as she shortened the distance between them; “I still have to give you your birthday present.”

Her hand with the ring on wrapped around the three rings dangling on the chain around her neck.  “This was not my present?”

“No.”  Tyler folded one hand around hers over the rings.  “This is something I should have done a long time ago.”  His mouth twitched before he smiled at her brilliantly.  “Your birthday present is a different kind of ring all together.”  He opened the box and took out something and held it to her on his open palm.