Chapter 13

I slowly shut the cover, putting my hand on top of the book, sighing to myself. Another lazy Sunday, another book finished. I got up, sliding the book back onto it's place on the shelf. I stood back, admiring my collection. There were barely any books I haven't read yet; I needed to go shopping. Unable to think of anything else to do to occupy my time, I picked up another book; The Fault in Our Stars. I just recently finished this book for the first time but I felt some attachment to it. I felt a connection. Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters somewhat reminded me of myself and Calum. I mean, besides the whole terminally ill part. They were just two teenagers brought together by a series of truly random events. Just like Calum and I.

I snuggled back into my bed, pulling the covers up as high as I could while still allowing my arms access to hold the book in front of my eyes. The lights in my room were dim but the reading lamp that was placed next to my bed was on full blast, helping me to see the text. My mother hadn't bothered me all day which was peculiar, but I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I enjoyed the peace and quiet. 

I read through the book, red pen in hand, this time making marks on things that stood out to me. I tended to do that. I don't know why, I guess I was just an annotation type of person. I highlighted well written sentences, things that interested me, important details and my favorite quotes. Sometimes, when I missed a book, I'd flip through and just read my annotations to give me the pleasure of the book but save my time. It was a quirky habit of mine but all avid readers had quirky habits.

Before I could even realize, the clock had already turned to 6:00 in the evening. I dog-eared my page and put the book down on my nightstand, sighing at the wasted day. To me, a day reading wasn't a day wasted, but a day re-reading was a day wasted. Curious as to why no one had talked to me all day, I slid on my slippers and exited my room, shuffling down the cool hallway. My mother and brother were still nowhere to be found. I made a circle around the dinner table and then made my way to the kitchen, spotting a sticky note on fridge. I read what is said, "Took Dylan out to the beach for the day, probably won't be home until past 10:00pm, remember to lock up, love you xx". My family had been gone all day and no one even bothered to tell me. I guess it was because I slept fairly late today. I actually had been sleeping in late a lot often and that wasn't a habit I was used to. 

When I walked back into my room, I was startled by frantic tapping at my window. I walked over to it, pulling the blinds up. I stumbled backwards, almost falling, when Calum's face appeared through the glass.

"Goddammit!" I exclaimed as I shoved the window open, crossing my arms.

"Hi babe." He said, a sweet smile appeared on his lips. "I missed you."

"What are you doing here?" I asked, staring at him. 

"I wanted to see you," he pouted his lip, attempting to guilt me out of anger.

I sighed, putting my hands up in defense before I grabbed his arm, helping him into my room. "You can't just show up, Calum. My mom isn't home now but you can't come when she is here."

"I know," he replied, laying down on my bed before sitting up again on the edge of it. "I made sure her car was gone, I'm not stupid."

"That's arguable," I laughed, laying down on my bed.

Calum chuckled, crawling up to the top of my bed with me, pulling me against his body. "Shut up."

I groaned, wiggling out of his grasp. "Leave me alone, I'm reading." I picked up my book from the nightstand, burying my face into it. 

He tugged the book from me, looking me in the eyes. "Have you been reading all day long?" 

"Kind of." I replied sheepishly.