Chapter 9

"He just offered to come help me with the groceries, mom. And he reads the Molly Moon series! I couldn't say no to him."

"But you're grounded, Allison. Do you not understand what that term means?"

"I'm sorry, okay? He came over, helped me, and we watched a movie. Then I had to kick him out because I knew you were coming home soon, so."

She shook her head, folding her arms on her chest. "I can't even trust you with errands."

"Whatever. Just tell me when Luke is here." I marched into my room, loudly closing the door behind me. I had just about had it with my mom.

-

"Allison, someone's here to see you."

I swung my legs off my bed and grabbed Luke's jacket, pulling a smile onto my lips. I walked out and saw Luke standing in the living room with my mom. I handed him his jacket.

"Hey, thanks. Sorry I forgot it here."

I shook my head. "No, it's okay. Thanks for coming over yesterday." There was an awkward pause, since my mom was standing right there with us. I inhaled deeply, biting my bottom lip.

"No problem, Allison. See you around?"

"See you around, Luke. Here, I'll walk you out." I looked up at my mom as I passed her, walking alongside Luke. We walked out to his small black car. I leaned against the hood as he got into his driver's seat.

"Thanks again, Allison. Text me sometime?" He smiled and set the jacket in the passenger seat.

"Sure will, Luke. Whenever I need help with groceries you're the man to call." I smirked lightly, laughing.

"Good. See you later." I pulled away from his car and he started it up and drove down my driveway, pulling out into my street and driving away with a wave.

I walked back inside, sitting down on the living room sofa. My mom sat down in her chair, smiling at me.

"What?" I asked, partially creeped out by her random grin.

"I like him." She said. "I talked to him before you came out, he's a really nice guy."

"Yeah, he is." I nodded. Thank god she liked one of my friends.

"You should date him instead of Calum. He's such a nice, quiet boy. And he loves reading, he's just your type!" I scrunched my face up, widening my eyes.

"Uh, but I like Calum? Mom, you can't be serious."

"I am serious! Just date Luke, you'll forget about Calum soon. Don't worry. Not like he was that important in your life."

"You can't just dictate my feelings! I like Calum, sorry that you're bitter because all of your boyfriends since dad have been assholes. But Calum isn't an asshole, you're just too hung up on ruining my life to actually get to know him like I had begun to do until you went Hitler on me and told me I couldn't see him anymore. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in my room."

Before she could say another word, I got up and went into my room, locking my door behind me. I felt some tears coming on so I grabbed my current book and buried myself in it, forgetting my worries. I couldn't cry over this. I couldn't cry over such a stupid matter.

While reading, I heard my phone ring and saw the caller ID said "Calum". I debated whether to answer it at first, because I had a feeling that I'd break down at just the sound of Calum's voice. But I decided to answer it because I needed to vent to him.