Chapter 5

I woke up, groggily, slowly opening my eyes. I blinked a few times before I noticed I was still in Calum's cave place and Calum was asleep right in front of me. His beanie had shrugged halfway off his head and his head was on the edge of the pillow, against the wall. I guess we had passed out while talking, I didn't recall much of our conversation after my shared assumptions, or if a conversation even existed after my assumptions.

I sat up, my back against the wall, and pulled my phone out of my pocket. As I clicked it on, the brightness blinded me, causing me to squint. When my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw that it was 1:45 in the morning. I was supposed to be home at midnight. Well, fuck. 

I got up, slightly panicking, and shook Calum by his shoulder. "Calum, wake up!" No response. I shook harder, yelling his name. "Calum!"

"Fuck!" Calum shot up, his beanie rolling off his head. "God Allison, what? What's wrong?"

"It's midnight, I was supposed to be home at midnight."

He groaned, grabbing his beanie and sliding it back over his messy black hair, standing up from his makeshift bed. "Help me put all the blankets and things away."

I quickly scurried around the small room, grabbing all the pillows and blankets in sight, stuffing them into the garbage bags one by one as Calum held them open. He tied them all up and put them against the wall, pulling out his phone, turning the flashlight on. "Turn yours on, it's going to be dark."

I turned my phone flashlight on and followed him through the opening. I felt Calum grab my hand, pulling me the opposite way of where we came from.

"Where are we going?" I asked, almost too loudly. 

"I know a shortcut, just c'mon." 

I followed Calum through the brush, using our phone lights to guide our way, following the dirt pave that was woven through the trees. When it was light out, this forest looked so beautiful. But at night, I wanted nothing more than to get out of it and back to Calum's car. The wind was blowing, which made the leaves rattle and the branches wave above us. The whole situation had a creepy feeling to it and the stress of my mother finding out how late I was to get home made my mood pretty sour.

"How is this a shortcut?" I said through my huffs of breath. I grew tired from all the turns and twists we were forced to make from the trees that appeared in our path. "Are we almost there?" I asked Calum again, slightly annoyed that he didn't answer me.

But then I saw his bright red car with it's leather interior. We pushed through the last piece of brush and ran straight to our sides of the car.

"Get in." Calum jumped into his driver's seat and started the car as I got into the passenger seat. He started driving, down the same road we arrived on. "I can't break the speed limit." He added. 

"It's fine," I leaned my head in my hands, looking out the window. "3o minutes isn't going to make a difference, I'm already 2 hours late."

"I'm really sorry." He said softly.

"It's not your fault at all, Calum. We didn't purposefully fall asleep." I didn't want him to feel guilty.

"I hope your mom doesn't hate me." He said with a small chuckle.

"I hope so too, I hope she doesn't find out. But that's inevitable."

"Is it? I mean, you could sneak into the house. Somehow. I've done it before."

"See I knew you were trouble." I shook my head, looking over at him.

"When I walked in?" He laughed, looking over at me with a smile.