Family Reunion- Sherlock

"I've brought you the mail," Mrs. Hudson said sweetly as she handed you your letters. You offered her a smile and a thank you and began to sort through the stack.

You handed John a few envelopes and placed Sherlock's on the table next to his experiment. You then focused on yours-- an invitation caught your eye.

The L/n Family Reunion!

April 16th at 13:00

Paris, France. Seine River Cruise.

RSVP at [email] or (***) ***-**** by April 7th

(A plus one is allowed)

You felt a breath over your shoulder. You looked up to see Sherlock studying the invite. 

"People actually have family reunions?" he scoffed.

You nodded. "You would be surprised. I'm not really interested in going, though. My family is... interesting."

Sherlock lifted his eyebrows. "I like interesting." He grabbed the paper and studied it again. "It says plus one, too."

"You want to meet my family? They're obnoxious! Not to mention I don't even know half of them-- my family is so big! And they're loud! Last family reunion everyone got so drunk I ended up hiding in a bedroom with four of my cousins-- I was fifteen."

The detective let out a low chuckle as he pictured your memory. You sighed and knew that you would have to go anyways.

You boarded the river cruise. You and Sherlock were the last ones to arrive. Immediately, your parents rushed forwards and brought you into a bone-crushing hug.

"Y/n! So good to see you. How's London?"

"London's alright," you said. However, your parents were not paying any attention.

"Y/n!" your mother squealed. "You have a boyfriend!"

"Yes, Mum, his name is-"

"Y/f/n," your dad introduced. "Nice to meet you! This is my wife, Y/m/n. We're Y/n's parents! Real nice to meet you, now." He roughly shook Sherlock's hand, his welcoming expression turned threatening for a moment. It was like he had a blinking sign over him that said, 'If you hurt her, I will hurt you.'

Sherlock turned to you for reassurance, but he should have known what he was getting into.

Your parents lead you to a large table where your aunts and uncles were already sitting and sipping wine. Your young nieces and nephews were running about, your cousins were exchanging stories by the window, and your grandparents were sitting at the head of the table.

"Y/n's here!" Your mother announced. There was a collective 'hello' as you stepped into view. But when Sherlock entered, it quieted a little.

"Woah!" your nephew, Mateo, shouted. "Y/n is dating Sherlock Holmes!"

"Sherlock Holmes?" Responded the hushed whispers.

Your cousins immediately came over to say hello and gawked at the detective. 

"Sherlock Holmes," Chiara, a cousin close to your own age, said. "I've read about you in the papers and I've seen your blog. Where's your hat?"

Sherlock looked uncomfortable with all the attention from your relatives but played it off well. Though he wasn't the most social pea in the pod, he did answer questions and refrained himself from deducing everyone in the room. Was he being... polite?

You didn't know what happened but he actually ate a few bites of salad for dinner and held your hand under the table. If anything, you thought he was nervous. Sherlock definitely was out of the usual here-- no crime scene, no familiar faces other than you.

After the meal, you excused yourself and Sherlock. The both of you went up to the deck, settling away from view at the stern of the ship. You saw musicians attracting a small crowd on a street near the Seine. You watched as Notre Dame came into view.

"It's nice out here," you said bluntly, breaking the silence.

"It is," Sherlock answered.

"I told you my family was a bit... normal. Surely they haven't scared you off yet?"

"They haven't."

"Good, good. You just seem... you know, different."

Sherlock turned to face you. "I just wanted them to know that I love you, and if that means not deducing them, then so be it."

You smiled softly and pulled your boyfriend close. "You don't have to, Sherlock."

"I don't? Okay. Your uncle is a cat lover; Not even that but obsessed-- over the top-- with cats. I think he has five, maybe six kittens. Kittens. The number of fully grown cats, I could not say. He's also unconvincingly trying to hide the fact that he has a UTI. He is using recreational drugs to cope with the fact that he's single-- single because his wife left him. Not because of the cats. No, she was cheating on him. He still wears the ring but took it off for the reunion. I'm sure that he'll be excusing himself to the bathroom any moment for his next fix...

"Your father has a new hobby. It used to be collecting those cars you told me about but now he has taken a liking to DVDs. Your cousin- the pregnant one- is going to go into labor five minutes, thirty-one seconds after she returns to her hotel. She's going to call her parents first who will proceed to call yours, who will ultimately call you ten minutes later. Your other cousin is having an affair and left his original girlfriend at home-"

"Sherlock!" You gasped.

His eyes flickered over to you and his mouth closed. "Sorry, Y/n."

"You should be," you chuckled. "Who knew my family was so scandalous? We should have our own show!" You looked down at the river. "Is there anyone who isn't hiding something?"

"Your grandmother is innocent. She just likes to knit."