Chapter 29

Greenwood T.H 2058

          When the stars that we all treasured and honored tonight finally joined us, the atmosphere had already become much livelier all around us

          When the stars that we all treasured and honored tonight finally joined us, the atmosphere had already become much livelier all around us. Charanthir had already gotten up four times to go get another carafe of wine. Even I could feel the wine I had consumed, it had lightened my mood considerably and made the evening much more enjoyable. Even Agenor had loosened up with help from the wine he had consumed. When Charanthir returned for the fifth time with another carafe, my eyes had wandered to the skies above us and I hadn't seen the uncertainty there had been in his steps while I beheld the stars as they shone brightly.

It had been a little more than three hours since the feast began. Aronhir and Feredir had joined us not long ago after they had finished their guard duties for the day. They had been lucky enough to finish before the feast ended, and they had quickly emptied their own carafe which Aronhir had brought along with them. I watched them talk together for most of the evening, their conversation usually on what had happened during their shift today. They had killed more than a few spiders who had dared attack the southern guard tower where they had been the whole day.

I chuckled when I heard Aronhir mention how many he had slain. They sometimes competed in who had killed the most. Feredir didn't seem to belive him and the wine did not help on their arguments. Charanthir shook his head in disbelief as well and I lowered my gaze from the stars above us. The music had slowly increased in strength, more and more were now also dancing behind us in the middle of the clearing as they all became merrier. My attention shifted to Adlanna and Nendir who just now stood up and went out to dance between the few couples already there. I envied their relationship sometimes, whishing so badly to have that as well.

While I watched them leave, I once again got the unmistakable feeling that someone was watching me. I shivered and turned back only for my eyes to land on the hand extended in front of me. I blinked several times at the hand before my eyes followed it up to whom it belonged to. It was Voronwë who was offering me his hand because he had seen where my gaze had lingered. "May I have this dance?" He asked after he had shot Charanthir a look that told him to be quiet because he kept snickering at my side. A grateful smile claimed my lips, eliminating the confused expression I had carried. I put my hand in his without hesitation. Voronwë helped me stand after I had put my empty glass down.

Voronwë's hold on my hand was light as if he almost didn't dare touch me. He and I had both noticed Thranduil's stare when we stepped into the clearing. But his hand was warm around mine while he guided me out into the middle of those already dancing. He offered me a kind smile before placing a hand on my waist as I put my hand on his shoulder. "Hannon le—" I whispered before we twirled once. I laughed with joy and allowed him to lead the dance. He was a much better dancer than I had expected, and much better than Charanthir had been. Not once did I fear for my toes, though I managed to step on his more than once.

During the last part of the dance he pulled me closer, and I rested my chin on his shoulder next to my hand as he leveled his mouth with my ear. "I had a feeling you wanted some time away from the others. You've been strangely quiet tonight." He twirled me once again before bringing me back to him. We danced close enough that I could keep my chin on his shoulder. "That, and because I also needed some time away from my brother. He seems to suspect Charanthir and my relationship to be more than a mere friendship. He keeps an ever-watchful gaze on us. This might get him off my back for a bit." He chuckled.