Chapter 19

Imladris T.H 2058

         The trouble with anger is, that when it gets ahold of you, you're no longer the master of yourself

         The trouble with anger is, that when it gets ahold of you, you're no longer the master of yourself. Anger is. And when anger is the superior, you get unintended consequences. Elrond had said these very words to me when I first came to Imladris, seeking refuge. But it was also all he had said to me. He had not once questioned why I had chosen to leave Greenwood while tending to my wounded shoulder.

He had been so kind to me, allowed me to remain in Imladris like he had allowed me to do for years before I finally gathered the courage to return to Greenwood. The peace I found here once more, made the choice to depart so much harder. There had been ships leaving from the grey harbor, that would've taken me across the sea but something inside me other than the peace I had found in Imladris compelled me to stay behind.

Therefore, ten years passed in the blink of an eye without word of Thranduil, until one fateful day where I would finally stand before him again. He was traveling to Imladris for a meeting with Elrond. A rare occurrence in these times, but the evil that tried so hard to gain any foothold within the world again, had not rested for even a moment. The threat had become too great to ignore.

At summers end that year, ten years after my departure from Greenwood, I was once again faced with the horns of Greenwood announcing the arrival of the royal party. I had that evening opted for my favorite dress, the cobber one that wrapped around me like autumn clinging to nature before winter. My hair was flowing with wild curls, running down my back like water reflecting moonlight. The peace here had done wonders to my complexion.

The horn of Greenwood had roused me from my prior occupation in the study, transcribing parts of a scroll only written in the high runes, only few were able to read any longer. The tasks Elrond had given me here varied greatly, from helping patrol and hunt down orcs brave enough to pass through the lands, to helping in the kitchen and then the newest task, transcribing accounts of our history from the runes of the high elves.

I had been cautioned about Thranduil's arrival, but it still didn't dismay my roaring heart nor the roaring emotions erupting inside me again. Feelings I had spent years trying too burry deep within. I made sure there were no ink residue on my fingers before rising from the chair, and moved through the room with cautious steps, slow and drawn out because I was insanely nervous to once again face everything I had fled from.

With a steadying breath, I stepped out of Elrond's study which had been my escape for the day. The peace and quiet I could retain there were not easily found anywhere else. Even Elrond rarely disturbed me here, and whatever few times he did, he seemed to need the solitude more than I. Often we only exchanged a single glance before returning to whatever task was before us. This was a great honor I had been extended, and one I would not waste.

When I stepped out of the main house, remaining in its shadow to observe the arriving party at the bottom of the stairs, my heart kept pounding. I had heard the many familiar voices even from the study, and they had not helped the overwhelming sense of guilt that swelled inside me. Though nothing could dissuade me from my course now. I had been given every opportunity to avoid this meeting. And I knew, Elrond had already informed Thranduil that I was here.

The ElvenKing [A thranduil fanfiction]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara