Chapter 4

Greenwood T.A. 2048

          With each day that passed my wound slowly healed

          With each day that passed my wound slowly healed. Unfortunately, my arrival had triggered Thranduil's foul mood to an extend never seen before by very few people. It had left him angrier, his mood quickly souring whenever I accidentally found a new way to step into his path.

I had genuinely strived to remain out of Thranduil's path as much as possible, but I was a similar wild spirit as he and accidentally kept finding new ways to annoy or anger him whenever I explored the kingdom. Because there were only so much reading, I could handle in a day before boredom triumphed and curiosity took over. Therefore, everyone knew who I was, and who my father had been, I could see it in their eyes whenever they looked at me, for better or worse.

Seldom had I seen one frown as much as he did whenever he noticed me. My presence had also sparked many rumors and curiosity within the Woodland Realm. Everyone knew who I was by the third day, Rüdhon had been greatly amused when he came to visit me after his shift on that evening. He had been a bit vague about the details, but I got the jest of it. The memory of him struggeling with his words, still brought a smile to my lips.

Rüdhon had alleviated some of the loneliness I had begun to feel while my wound healed. He often had news of Thranduils sour mood swings, or of his time in the forest. I just listened through them all and enjoyed his company. He had been around as much as he could whenever he wasn't busy with his duties as Commander of the guard. He had taken over after my father's death and inherited his responsibilities.

At first, I was relieved by his company, but his comments soon started to annoy me. Even the constant nagging and worry of his. It only made me understand how much I honestly had missed him. Rüdhon had on multiple occasions saved me from Thranduils wrath, just like he had saved me when I was younger from my father. He seemed to always be in the right spot at the right time whenever I needed him the most.

After several weeks on bed rest, I was finally allowed to return to the guards. Today would be the first day I would return to my duties as a guard. The new guard uniform that had been provided me, was laid out on the bed. This one was similar to the one I had worn many years ago, but in pristine condition because it was new. My old uniform was too small and had needed quite a few alterations.

The uniform felt unfamiliar but still familiar at the same time. The standard uniform hadn't changed at all over the years. It was the same plain uniform you were issued and had to always wear. The leather armor I slipped over the uniform was my own. I had worn it for numerous years, even when I had not been a guard, it had served me well throughout the years. The leather corset, armguards and shin covers were all beautifully decorated with an intricate design carved straight into the leather material.

When serving under my father, I had only worn the complete armor on special occasions when patrolling, but with the new treats Rüdhon had addressed, I found it wise to wear it the first couple of times until I could assess the situation out there myself. The forest was not as I remembered. It was filled with dangerous creatures and brave poachers, as well as orcs daring enough to venture into the Woodland Realms territory.