Chapter 21

Imladris T.H 2058

         The soft music, along with the weak murmur of several conversations filled the hallways as I walked through the main house

The soft music, along with the weak murmur of several conversations filled the hallways as I walked through the main house. I moved with cautious steps, slow and drawn out because I was insanely nervous to once again face Thranduil. What he had said in the garden when collecting Legolas earlier had made me doubt everything. Each choice I had ever made. I was not as unwelcomed in Greenwood as I believed. With all the external pressure from Elrond, but also the obvious, if not vital need, Thranduil had for alleviating his suffering, I was debating whether to return with them.

I was still hesitant to give in to everything because no matter how ready I were to cast all the previous resentments away to support Thranduil in anyway or form I could, he had to be ready to accept the help as well. My steps slowed again before eventually seizing entirely. I stood in the middle of the hall, in front of the open doors to the dining area, only used when multiple guests had been invited to dinner. I swallowed nervously and retorted to smoothening out the folds on my dress. I was still in the cobber one I had worn this morning, I had not bothered to change into something else.

When there were no more folds to be smoothed out, I took a steadying breath and gathered my hands in front of me. The first step I took was insecure, quickly gaining strength as I entered the room. The large table in the middle of the room were completely occupied except for a single seat right next to Thranduil. I swallowed nervously while my eyes scanned the people sitting around the table. Voronwë was on the left next to the empty seat, Charanthir across from him. They were deep in conversation, Charanthir laughing while talking with Voronwë and the few other elves next to them.

On the right was Thranduil, still in the same burgundy red tunic he had been in when colleting Legolas. At his right was Legolas and then Elrond and his sons, and the man who had come to collect the twins earlier. He was one of the youngest at the table, the soft features to his face not fully mature yet. Elven youth had a certain softness to their faces when they had barely come of age, and it often lingered for years afterwards. He must've been charged to care for the young twins.

I brushed a strand of hair behind my ear before continuing forwards towards the empty seat. The silence that fell around the table after the first had noticed my arrival was a tad uncomfortable. I arched a brow at Charanthir who kept starring weirdly at me. But when the familiar mischievous smile of his broke the otherwise solemn look, I couldn't contain my own smile. It had been contagious, and I chuckled when taking the empty seat. Voronwë sent me a careful smile as well before sending Charanthir a look, that he should be careful.

Thranduil didn't acknowledged me until I had sat down and pulled the chair closer to the table. Elrond inclined his chin but remained silent before he turned to his twins. They had been whispering about something, but one look from their father and they seized their whispering. Instead, they giggled loudly. I found it amusing but not enough to smile because Thranduil had finally turned to me. He had straightened in the chair when I sat down in mine, hands resting on the table as he took a steadying breath.