Chapter 14

Greenwood T.A 2048

          The storm had been worse than I imagined, already exhausted it had hit me so much harder

          The storm had been worse than I imagined, already exhausted it had hit me so much harder. The fatigue had hit me hard, but even harder because I had been safely in Thranduil's embrace. Whatever had made him remember, cast aside the anger he had carried towards me after I woke him up earlier, to come find me, was beyond me. The only hope that remained within me was, that deep down, he still cared for me, even if it was in his own way.

It was a tiny hope, hanging on by a thin tread that would snap with the smallest amount of pressure. How easy it was to forget everything that had happened, all the anger, jealousy, and mistrust there had grown between us when watching Thranduil sleep at my side. I had woken up around dawn. It had taken me some minutes to comprehend that we were no longer in Rüdhon's old room. Thranduil must've brought me here after I passed out in his arms.

At first, I thought it had been my own room but when my eyes landed on the cup of tea on the nearby nightstand, I knew it was the very same I had placed there earlier before I woke him up from the nightmare that had haunted his sleep. This was Thranduil's room. He had brought me here, it had to have been him. But one thing I hadn't expected, was for him to have linger behind as well. He was still at my side, sleeping comfortably. He looked more peaceful than I had ever seen him. The usual crease between his brows had softened substantially.

I had been watching him for a while now, lingering on my side. Lying with my head on top of a pillow, with my arm neatly tucked beneath it. I was content to just lie here, taking in everything in the silent morning. The storm had long since passed, the forest outside waking up to a better day. The water had washed away some of the decay that had lingered from winter's passing, giving away to spring as the sun rose in the distance.

I shifted to get comfortable, bringing my knees up to my chest while I shifted my attention to Thranduil. It seemed that I was not the only one who had needed this comfort. His breathing was surprisingly even, the hand resting on his stomach moving up at down in a steady rhythm told me as much. I dared extend my hand that had been resting on the bed between us towards him. My fingers entwined with a strand of his white hair. It was as soft as I remembered.

Even though everything was perfect in that moment, tears still emerged, clouding my vision, and forcing me to close my eyes. Everything was not fine. How could it ever be fine. The grief I still felt for the loss of Rüdhon, kept reminding me how much I had lost. Everything could have been drastically different if I hadn't chosen Thranduil. I loved Rüdhon, I truly did, but deep down I knew would never have been able to love him the way I had loved Thranduil. And like I still did.

The sheer guilt for acknowledging it, overwhelmed me. Thranduil barely stirred when I sat up, bringing my knees to my chest before hugging them as I stared into the empty room. I would not be able to linger for much longer. I had my own duties to attend to once the sun had fully risen. But how could I abandon this. I glanced at Thranduil, he was still soundlessly asleep. I exhaled in defeat and lowered my knees, ready to leave the bed but Thranduil opened his eyes in that exact same moment. He had already been awake.