Chapter 7

Greenwood T.A. 2048

         Absentmindedly, I stared at my reflection in the mirror, eyelids occasionally fluttering close as I enjoyed the therapeutic sensation of having my hair combed

         Absentmindedly, I stared at my reflection in the mirror, eyelids occasionally fluttering close as I enjoyed the therapeutic sensation of having my hair combed. It had always clamed my nerves and tonight it was more than needed. The inner turmoil made it very hard to find any rest. Sleep just would not seem to find me even though I was exhausted from my responsibilities during the day. Rüdhon did not go easy on me.

I had given up trying to fall asleep fairly quickly into the early hours of the night and decided to spend the night wisely. So I had retorted to washing down my body. The sweet aroma of thyme and lavender lingered in the air, luring me into a false sense of calm. The herbs were always something I used whenever washing but my stores were running low. Next time Ûtridien returned to the Woodland Realm, I had to get my stores replenished.

Once there were no knots left in my hair, I positioned the brush back down on the table in front of me and turned towards the small balcony on my right. The room was a rare treat and I had not entirely expected to be given this. The cold night breeze washed through the room, reminding me the doors to the balcony were still open and made me shiver, but also pull my robe tighter around my body. I decided it would be best to close the still open doors and turn in for the night.

I seated myself on the edge of the bed with no real desire to lay down. I simply stared into the empty room, at nothing particular. What Elrond had said when I left the study last night weighed heavily on my mind. My father had saved Thranduil, at the expense of his own life. The debt he owed my father, had now been extended to me.

I scrubbed my face and left the soft bed. I needed to get out of my room, suddenly feeling claustrophobic. The doubt that had filled my heart had not dwindled at all. It had increased instead. Thranduil did not want me here, that much was clear, but still I had dared to have hope. Hope that we would be able to reconcile. I did not expect him to throw away his hatred and all the pain I had caused him. But I had hoped he one day would be able to forgive my folly.

In the hallway, I had barely closed my own door before another was opened not far down the same hallway on the opposite side. Elrond stepped out with one of the twins in his arms. At first, I could not see whom it was but when I dared step closer, I saw that it was Elladan. The young boy peaked over his father's shoulder, and I risked sending a soft smile to him, but it wasn't reciprocated before he pressed his face into his father's shoulder, hiding from me.

"Hir nín Elrond." I spoke quietly so not to surprise him, but Elrond had not been aware of my presence. He spun around to face me, surprise painted all over his expression and actions before he relaxed, shoulders slumping. "Goheno nín." I lowered my chin and retracted a step while drawing my robe tighter around my body, somewhat conscious about my state of undress.

"There is nothing to forgive." Elrond dismissed and shifted Elladan in his arms. Only one arm was below the young ellon as Elrond reached for me, all while Elladan looked at me once more, eyes heavy as he leaned against his father. Elrond placed a hand on my shoulder and squeezed reassuringly.