Chapter 23

Greenwood T.H 2058

          Summer was ending, bringing with it the beginning of many wood elves' favorite season, Autumn

          Summer was ending, bringing with it the beginning of many wood elves' favorite season, Autumn. Summers once rich green, caved for autumns brown, yellow, and orange. This was Thranduil favored this season also, even in my heart it held a special place, though winter would remain a favorite of mine. Snow to precious to me. It had not even been a week since I returned. Nothing much had changed within Greenwood, still people took notice of my return. They whispered in the corners which would annoy me greatly whenever I caught some of them. They could think what they wanted, it was none of my concern.

Since the attack, our guard had doubled. Thranduil wanted to find whoever had been brave enough to attack us on the road. Voronwë and I had returned to the place, the day after and followed a blood trail through the forest. But it had ended along our borders to the north, close to the old fortress. We were still forbidden to go near the old fortress, Dol Guldur laid beyond our borders and Thranduil wanted none of us near that foul place. Voronwë had held me back before I could follow the trail across our border, remining me that it was prohibited.

But when we turned away, something caught on the sun. A metal glint caught my attention. I weaved out of his reach and jumped down onto the ground, daring to cross the border. In the leaves, halfway buried, was the arrow I had shot. Voronwë had been ready to lash out at me for my actions but held his tongue when I showed the arrow to him. We brought our findings back to Thranduil, who scolded me for crossing the border, but I didn't feel much remorse. I had found my arrow, which meant I had hit someone. They would most likely be injured.

The thought of that still weighed heavily on my mind whenever I wasn't out patrolling the forest. Something else were moving around out there, something that wasn't our friend. I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. The constant threat of something else out there that could evade us better than the spiders. I had picked up on their steps more than once, but each time they had evaded me. Whatever moved unseen in the shadows, evading everyone, grew in strength each day. More and more spiders attacked each day, and there was seldom a time where we wouldn't meet them.

I was not due to get back out on patrol before in the morning. Still, it was all I could think about. I scrubbed my face and groaned loudly at my stupidity, while continuing down the hall. My steps were soft but determined. I needed some solitude that I couldn't get in my own room. I had been granted the same room when I returned, nothing had changed since last, I had stayed there but it still didn't feel like it was mine. So, I sought the only place I could find some solace. Rüdhon's old room. I hadn't heard anything that should suggest it had been passed on to someone else.

Unfortunately, that proved to be wrong. The door was halfway open, and I heard raised voices from inside. They were familiar enough that I didn't hesitate to open the door once I reached it. Inside I found Charanthir and Voronwë. Charanthir stood by the windows, arms crossed and a defeated expression on his face. Voronwë sat on the bed but stood the moment I entered. "Forgive me, but I heard raised voices." I whispered weakly while looking between the two. Charanthir's expression softened before he lowered his arms. Neither of them was in their guard uniform, which surprised me.