Chapter 28

Greenwood T.H 2058

         I didn't get any more sleep that morning after Thranduil had left with Legolas

         I didn't get any more sleep that morning after Thranduil had left with Legolas. Thus, I spent the time I had just preparing for the feast tonight. I bathed until the water turned cold, with my favorite mixture of herbs to make it scent better. Ûtridien had showed me the few combos that he preferred, until I had found my own favorite mixture. A mix primarily of Lavender. It had always been a favorite scent of mine. It wasn't often that I had an abundance of time to myself, besides the bath, I also spent time tending to my curls. They were bouncier that normal, like moonlight shining on water under clear skies.

This was something that only happened a few times a year whenever I had enough time to tend to them. I chuckled when separating a few of my tighter curls. I did feel a little foolish but tonight I wouldn't mind standing out even more than I already did. For the occasion I had pulled out one of the few dresses that had survived from my mother, thanks to Rüdhon being sentimental and saving some of my father's things after he died, but in turn also saving them for when I returned. The dress I had chosen was a simple A-line gown, the fabric a pure white and its lace sleeves embroidered with an intricate design of swirls and flowers, following the whole length of my arm, up over my shoulder before fading into the dress pattern.

I lowered my arms and beheld my reflection in the mirror I had standing on the desk in front of me. It wasn't a large mirror, it was not that much bigger than a hand mirror. I had rested it against the wall, enabling me to have my hands free while I fussed with my curls. I was debating whether to do something about my hair, or let the curls run wild tonight. After due consideration, I decided to do something in between and twisted the front of my hair back on either side of my head. I secured it on the back of my head with a small hairpin before I pulled out a few strands of my hair, fumbling with it until it was just right.

Once fully satisfied with how it looked, I lowered my hands and took one look in the mirror again. My reflection smiled back at me before my eyes traveled over my shoulder to someone standing in the door. Thranduil had come. His hand had been lifted, ready to knock to let me know he was there, but that was not what gained my attention. In the mirror, I saw how the whole left side of Thranduil's face revealed horrid wounds, which had blinded his left eye and almost burnt away all the skin. The sight so horrendous to behold.

It honestly frightened me. I had not known the wounds on his side extended this far up. A scream involuntarily tore from my lips when I pushed the chair backwards with such a force it tipped over, landing on the ground with a loud thud while I spun to look at Thranduil, because I had to see that my eyes weren't deceiving me. But in the process of doing so, I tripped over the chair behind me. I fell onto all four when he took the first steps towards me, reaching for me because I stumbled. Thranduil placed something he'd had in his other hand on the desk before he knelt in front of me. I was already reaching for him, eyes wide with horror but there was no trace left of that horrific wound I had glimpsed in the mirror.