TWENTY-THREE

Mature content, sex, strong language, extreme violence

I pull into the church parking lot and park behind Ethan. The sky is dark and menacing and my weather app promises one hell of a storm, Thank goodness the ceremony is inside.

I climb out and am instantly hit by a steady wall of hot wind that has the clouds rolling above me as lightning streaks across the blackness moments before thunder rumbles the ground beneath my feet.

I hurry into the church and make my way to the makeshift dressing room in the back, "Hey Lily, how's everything going?" "It's fine. I have my dress here and all of my makeup and hair supplies are ready to go; I'm leaving them here tonight so I won't have to worry about them tomorrow. Veil and shoes are on the bench over there and here is my old, new, borrowed, and blue."

She runs her fingers across the hair clip her grandmother had given her, "I think everything is ready. Oh, Blake...am I?" She spins around to face me with wide, cautious, frightened eyes, "What if my marriage is doomed because of what we did?" "What on earth are you talking about? What did you do?"

"We cheated on you," she whispers crossing the room to stand in front of me. "Lily, you and Ethan belong together. Plain and simple. You were made for each other." "I never asked for your forgiveness. Will you forgive me, Blake?"

Tears fill her worried eyes as she grasps my wrists lightly, "Of course I forgive you, Lily! I forgave you in the very beginning; Ethan too." "Thank you," she whispers wiping at her eyes. "You're welcome. Now do you mind if I get my best friend to her wedding rehearsal?"

We walk out front and my eyes fall on Hunter then drift behind him to Grayson who stands tall and proud in the doorway looking around the chapel. I suck in a sharp breath as his eyes freeze on me and a smile plays at his lips.

Hunter moves to my side wrapping his arm around my waist as Grayson walks toward us. "Grayson! Hey, bro!" "Hey, Ethan! I missed you, man," he answers as they hug. "You too, man. Thanks for coming." "I wouldn't miss it, bro."

His eyes shift back to mine darkening as he assesses my embrace with Hunter, "Grayson!" Lily calls walking down the aisle to stand by Ethan, "How are you?" "Great; how are you?" "Really good."

"Everything...uh cleared up?" Grayson nods, "Yup. Not my kid so the divorce went through. I've been tying up some loose ends." Ethan pats his back, "Glad to hear everything worked out."

The small talk continues as I stand silently, dutifully by Hunter's side until finally the pastor ambles in drenched by the rain that is now pouring outside. I'm standing at the back waiting for the first run through to start when Grayson steps beside me taking my hand, "What are you doing?" I pull my hand back but his grip tightens and he loops my arm through his holding my fingers in his hand, "Please tell me you're not the best man."

He smirks down at me, "Hunter's gonna flip." "I really hope so," he murmurs darkly looking down at me, "I've missed you baby girl; every single part of you."

With blazing cheeks, I stare straight ahead ignoring him as he flexes his hand around my fingers repeatedly while tracing circles with his thumb. The bridesmaids make their way down the aisle and at our cue we step out walking slowly to the tempo of the music.

"One day we'll be rehearsing for our wedding," he whispers leaning down next to me so I can feel his breath on my neck. I glance at Hunter and wish I hadn't because as soon as our eyes meet he turns and walks from the room as Grayson chuckles, "Oops." I glare up at him but he stares ahead with a huge smile on his face.

We go through the steps for the following day until everyone has their parts down and I keep waiting for Hunter to reappear but he never does, "I think we've got it!" Lily ushers everyone to the back for dinner and I relax knowing I'll soon see Hunter but when I get to the dining room it's empty.