FOURTEEN

Strong language

I was finishing my fourth mile on the treadmill as I watch Harper sleep peacefully in her infant swing in front of me. I had worked my ass off and as a result, my abs came back less than a month after I had her so it literally looks like I never had a baby.

I can't believe she's six weeks old on Thursday. I pick her up and lay her in her bassinet pulling it into the bathroom with me so I can shower. I do my hair and makeup and dress in jeans and a long sleeve shirt laughing to myself as I see that we match.

I toss a load of washed clothes into the dryer, wash up my dishes from breakfast, and walk through the house cleaning up the odd mess here and there as I go. I make the bed and dump the clothes from the dryer onto it before folding and putting them away.

I still have three weeks of maternity leave left but I'm trying to get back into a set routine. A little after lunch, I strap Harper into her car seat and cover her up before kissing her cheek.

After I drop her off with my parents, I head to Kroger to get some supplies and I'm browsing the fruit section looking over the apples when I feel someone press against my back. Before I can turn, a large hand reaches around me and gently places a bag of strawberries into the basket.

I stare at them, confused, for half a second until I hear a voice that I would recognize even if it's been ten years since I've heard it, "You still like strawberries, right?" he whispers close enough that I feel his warm breath against my neck. Audibly swallowing, I slowly turn around peering up into the same brown eyes that I gaze into every single day.

 Audibly swallowing, I slowly turn around peering up into the same brown eyes that I gaze into every single day

"Grayson," I whisper trying to catch my breath. He smirks, "Nice to know I still have that effect on you." Robotically, I shake my head, "You don't. I just never thought I'd see you again."

I spin around to walk away but he falls into step next to me, "So what have I missed?" Is he seriously asking about the local gossip right now? "Nothing. Just working. Same old same old," I ramble.

My palms are so sweaty I almost drop the basket so I hold it in one hand while I wiping the other then switch. "Nervous about something?" he purrs wrapping his arm around my waist. "No. Why would I be nervous?" I answer a little too quickly stepping out of his embrace.

Why is he here? What does he want? I think about the interview from a few months back and how Whitney thought he might not be over me. But that's crazy...it's been a year for crying out loud!

"Oh, I don't know...maybe because you haven't seen me in almost a year." I don't answer; instead I grab a carton of milk and add it to the basket. I should have gotten a cart. I switch hands and am about to slide the basket onto my arm when he takes it from me holding it in one hand with ease.

"So it's been a whole year," he continues, oblivious to my mental breakdown, "There're lots of things you could've done in a year." I'm on the verge of hyperventilating when we come to an empty aisle and he steps in front of me cutting off my path.