Chapter 36

Well this is it. Thank you to those who are reading this and obviously stuck this story out till the end. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I twirl around on the spot and check out my reflection in the floor to ceiling mirror. My dress twirls around my feet gently tickling my skin and lightly dragging on the floor. After weeks of dress fittings it is finally the way that I imagined it, it is strapless and the main bodice section is ruched and shows off a sweetheart neckline that has a V-shape made out of little turquoise beads that follow the line of my cleavage and catch the light sparkling prettily. The skirt has soft pleats running through it and falls straight to the floor, hugging my hips on the way down. It definitely isn’t over the top or the most interesting dress in the world but it works for me.

I have added silver drop earrings, my Tiffany heart charm bracelet and a pair of silver heels to complete the look.  My light red hair tumbles down my back and has been left to wave naturally and my green eyes have been emphasised with dark eyeliner and mascara and a layer of silver eye shadow makes them look deep and lively. I bought myself some clear pumping lip gloss for the occasion and as I paint on a layer I can feel my lips tingle as it hopefully does its job.

Looking behind me I glance at the clock, I am in my mum’s old room waiting to join the rest of my party guests, most of whom I don’t even know. The clock indicates that in about 5 minutes I will be able to make a grand entrance as most of the guest will already be enjoying themselves.

I have been hoping for weeks that this day wouldn’t come that I could just continue to live the way I had been doing. Ty had continued to take me out under the pretence of training (which we did do a bit of) but really we just sat and talked about everything, likes, dislikes, goals, fears, that kind of thing. I haven’t been able to see him over the last couple of days… as the custom dictates I have been locked in my house seeing no one but my parents and grandparents.

Yet against all my prayers and wishes today is my eighteenth birthday and that means today is the day that I may meet my mate. I can’t stop secretly hoping that because of my ‘unique’ problem I might not even have one, then if that happens I can continue to be with Ty but who knows what is going to happen, my fate has already been decided I just have to watch it unfold.

There are shifters from all across the UK downstairs laughing, toasting and chatting, just enjoying the party … Uncle Drake always throws a good party and since my mother was in charge they were an unstoppable force and it’s bound to be a great occasion. Any one of the males down there could be the one that I am supposed to spend the rest of my life with but I only want one of them, for now. I know that when I meet my mate all thoughts of Ty will vanish, he will no longer hold my heart, it sounds harsh yet that is the way it will be.

I look to the clock once more and sigh, time to go. Collecting myself and taking a deep breath I leave the room and slowly make my way to the double doors that lead down into the main hall.

My dad is already stood waiting for me and continuously fiddles with his tie nervously. “What are you nervous for?” I ask jokingly and he turns to face me.

“Oh Rosie you look amazing.” He says sincerely and kisses my forehead gently. “Except the look on your face makes you look like a sheep going to slaughter not a girl to her party. Please smile baby.”

“Dad I don’t want to do this.” I cry.

“You don’t want to lose him do you?” He says in understanding and I look at him with shock. “You can’t get much past me baby girl. You just have to think that whatever happens is meant to be and that it happens for a reason.” I compose myself once more and turn back to him with a slightly forced smile on my face. "Me and your mum met at her coming out party." He says lightly.