Chapter 14

Rosie's P.O.V.

 I was lying down, that much I was certain off, but how I came to be in this position I had no idea, the last thing I remember was setting of in the direction of the pack house to warn Mary about Ty. So how did I end up on the floor? Refusing to open my eyes I let my other senses take over, the ground is soft and damp so I'm lying on grass, I breath slowly but deeply though my nose and the scent of dirt and pine fills my lungs indicating that I am in the woods, another smell is there too, I'm not sure what it is but it is coppery and unpleasant. Slowly I open my eyes, the sky is dark and the stars of the night sky shine between the branches of the trees above me that are swaying gently in the breeze, on any other occasion it would be pleasant to sit here and star gaze, but this isn't any normal occasion and the sound of breathing almost panting not far away from my location has me panicking slightly at the fact that I am not as alone as I first thought.

1...2...3, in one swift movement I roll away from the sound of the breathing and throw myself onto my feet so I am facing the threat directly. My head pounds and once again I have to close my eyes as I feel physically sick and extremely dizzy, reaching up I push my fingers through my hair and wince when I come to the source of the pain, my hair is matted with blood and I have a lump the size of an egg, the blood would explain the coppery smell. As soon as I am able to I open my eyes and what I see stops me momentarily as lying on the ground inches away from my previous position is a very large jet black wolf, the sheer size of it is terrifying an Alpha or Beta for sure. Fright has me paralysed as I stand and watch it, except it isn't moving, possibilities fly around my head, it's playing dead, it's asleep, it's waiting for me to get just close enough. I inch my way in a large circle so I am not just staring at its large back, its big white teeth are on show and gleam in the moonlight against its dark fur giving it a sinister appearance. I asses the rest of the wolf and notice that its back left leg is at a funny angle and definitely broken, the wolf is unconscious and that means I need to get out of here and fast, if it wakes up it will be on the defensive and in panic mode, it will attack anything in sight, but for some reason I just can't walk away. In fact I do the stupidest thing possible as I slowly inch my way towards it, I just want a closer look I tell myself. I get to just within touching distance when it shifts it's position and whines in pain, I jump back a couple of feet and back up until I hit a tree never once taking my eyes of the wolf. What is it doing on our territory?

Slowly it raises its giant head and takes in its surroundings, when its eyes land on me there is something familiar about them but I push that thought to the back of my mind. With our eyes locked together it attempts to stand and heaves itself up onto its other three legs tenderly attempting to place weight onto its other foot, it whines again and drops back to the floor in a defeated heap. Looking at it or him or her I know that I need to help it, so pushing myself of off  the tree I was leaning against I walk further into the trees, the sound of a howl behind me is loud, lonely and exceedingly sad.

"I'm coming back." I whisper knowing it can hear me, indicated by the silence that is quickly restored. Looking around the forest floor I find what I need and reluctantly make my way back.

When the wolf is once again in sight I realise just how sorry for itself it looks "I don't know how we came to be here, how I have a cut on the back of my head or how you broke your leg but if you will allow me too I will put it in a splint so your accelerated healing doesn't fix it into that position." The wolf nods its head. "Are you going to shift into human form?" For a second I think there is a look of panic in its eyes but it quickly replaced and it shakes its head in a sign for no which causes me to sigh, great. "Fine, but this is going to hurt... a lot, I'm not going to lie, and when it does I don't want you growling and attempting to bite me okay?" Once again it nods its head. In this sort of situation my mother would tell me to walk away whilst I have the chance and leave it there, but something inside me won't let me and although I don't trust it completely I take of my coat and rip up my hoodie to wrap its injured leg in.

First aid was another thing that my parents made sure that I knew from a young age, anything to do with survival skills and I was an expert, my hands still for a second as I think back to what Ty told, was I made to learn these things as a precaution for as and when I may have to go into hiding from the Dark Wolves minions. As I'm lost in thought the wolf, that has yet to stop staring at me, grunts, whether in pain or because of a lack of patience I don't know.

"You just remember the deal." I say sounding more confident then I feel, I'm about to move the leg and it is going to hurt it and a wolf will get rid of the threat to stop the pain. "Okay I'm going to adjust the leg, I'd recommend you take a deep breath on the count of three, okay?" I pause and ready myself. "One... Two... Three." And in sync it takes in a breath and I adjust the leg and put the piece of wood in place ready to be wrapped up. The wolf releases an eardrum shattering howl and the birds that had nested in the trees around us take off in fright making a racket of their own as they fly away and disappear into the night sky. "There that wasn't so bad." The wolf growls at me and I can't hold back a giggle. My mum would be shocked at my behaviour, I'm alone in the woods with a strange wolf yet I feel safe, even with blood soaking into my hair from the cut. As carefully as I can I wrap the torn material around the leg and tighten it, earning a grunt each time, so that the piece of wood is secure.

"I don't think you are going to be able to hobble anywhere for a little while yet." I diagnose. The wolf lets out a big breath almost like it is huffing out of frustration and places its big furry head on its front paws. "Right I guess I'll be off then." I state casually as I take slow steps backwards, the wolf lifts his head and whines. "No, I am not staying here, I don't know you, I'm in the middle of the woods and my head is bleeding. You're a big wolf you can look after yourself from here." It attempts to stand by pushing itself up on its front two legs but cries as it attempts to apply pressure to the broken one. "Stop it! If you do that it will never heal." The wolf just tilts it's head to the side and stares at me, silence engulfs us once again, minutes later the wolfs ears twitch and he growls low and threatening whilst staring in the space behind me, slowly I turn around and back away as two more wolves emerge from the shadows and enter our already crowded clearing.