Chapter 9

I wanted to try something a little different.... let me know if it was the right or wrong thing to do...

Ty's P.O.V.

The last few hours had been eventful... to say the least and my heart is still hammering in my chest. Ever since Beta Matthews phased into his wolf form it has been nonstop. Finding out that he was Rosie's dad and her mum another Beta. I was going to have to have a word with my grandfather, I know the plan as well as he does and that wasn't a part of it, but then again the new circumstances make me think that maybe I won't be able to go through with it either. Maybe he has done us all a favour by outing us.

I should have known straight away back on that very first night in the garden. I could feel the power radiating from her. I have seen the way she holds herself. I have seen her take charge of situations. I watched her tonight from across the room, I saw the way she worked the room. These were all clues for me to fit together and figure out that she was a either a Beta or an Alpha, or at least going to be. But no after that first night I ignored it and now it has come back to bite me in the arse.

Rosie... When I saw first saw her tonight I had to do a double take, she looked nothing like the Rosie I have hung out with for the past few weeks, she looked mature and like a woman not just a girl. Even though I had seen the dress before the shock of how good it looked still hit me... and I was there when it was chosen.

Sitting in the car on the drive home in silence I reflect on some of the events from the evening. Before the shit had hit the fan I had barely seen her, why did she pass me off onto Mary for the evening? Mary is a lovely person don't get me wrong it's just I didn't know her at all, and because of the plan that is the best way to keep it. I just couldn't come up with a polite way to distance myself from her.

"Ty we're home." Rob states from the drivers' seat. His face deadpan. Whatever he is thinking he isn't sharing.

"Thanks dude." I say to his distaste, he hates slang, who knows why. Climbing out of the car and looking up to my house I already know that my Grandfather is here and the fact that he could have led the wolves that pursued him to my house really pisses me off. I purposely chose a place just outside of their territory so that I couldn't be tracked, yet he is on their hit list so they wouldn't have given up just because of a boundary line. My house is brand new and I had it built just last year in preparation for what I had to do. It's a decent size, to house myself, Andy and Rob comfortably but unlike some shifters I have kept is a homely as I can. I didn't want a mansion or a bachelor pad. It is basically a large wood cabin in the woods, 4 bedrooms, each with an en-suit, we need all need our space. And then the lounge, kitchen and dining area are all one big space, the view though is why I chose this location, the front of the house faces the closest town and is surrounded by trees as we are far into the woods, however the back of the building looks out over a cliff. The back wall which is in the kitchen area is all glass and from there it is a sea of green treetops as far as the eye can see, with white cliff faces breaking the surface every now and then, it truly is beautiful.

"What are you doing here?" I demand of my grandfather as I walk into my modern kitchen and grab a beer out of the fridge feeling more anger than I will let him see, he won't get a rise from me, not tonight. He raises an eyebrow at my actions, he is already fully dressed once more in another of his suits, I have never seen him in anything else. "I'm eighteen, it's legal and that means it's also legal for me to make my own decisions." I don't know why I am justifying myself in my own home. 

"Well yes of course... erm... your house, your rules... as they say. In answer to your question I came here for refuge, I would have thought that was obvious."

"What you did, that wasn't part of the plan and if it was you could have least of sent me a memo so I was prepared for it. You may have ruined everything for me."

"Sometimes surprises happen and you have to be ready for them Tyler." I growl at him because he knows I hate my full name.

"How did you escape them? You aren't as young as you used to be, how did you out run them all? Or am I to expect my door to be kicked in any minute?"

"I'm not proud of my cowardice however one must do what one must to survive. I jumped into the river that runs through their land and swam downstream, so they shouldn't be able to pick up my scent here, don't worry your safe place is still that." I nod at him and flop down onto my couch relieved.

"You know, you wouldn't have to try to 'survive' if you had just stayed away."

"I am aware. You spent a lot of time with the Alpha's daughter tonight, well done. The plan is in motion." A swift change of topic. 

"Yeah I guess it is" I sigh.

"I just want you to know that that wasn't my plan for tonight either, I didn't expect to be recognised, what I said and did were spur of the moment."

"You cause them a lot of pain, what made you think your face isn't on a dartboard in that house somewhere."

"I assumed they'd think me dead already... as you said I am not as young as I used to be." He shrugs his shoulders and even that movement has an entitled air to it. "Right I am going to take my leave, the rest is up to you, don't rush it, I will check in regularly." And just like that he turns and makes his way to my front door. Great that is just like my grandfather, ruin my cover, make me the most hated person in this town and affiliated with the Dark Wolf then just scamper of leaving me to pick up the pieces.  "Just remember your training."

"Yeah cheers." I call after him sarcastically. Leaving the now empty beer bottle on my coffee table I get back to my feet, Rob and Andy have gone for a run to give me and my grandfather privacy so the house is silent; I decide that it would probably just be best to go to bed.

Tossing back and forth I really can't sleep one thought keeps running through my mind Rosie. What my grandfather expects from me, what I have trained for, what I was born for. She complicates all of it. 

I roll over again, her mums order to stay away go without saying. There is no way, now that I know who she is, that we can continue as we were. It's not like I will be going back to the college though so it'll be easy to avoid her. I know what I have to do but I'm fighting it. I get angry with myself and throw the covers off my body. "Why am I fighting it?" I mumble to myself, what is she to me? Another girl, in another pack, in another part of the world. So what if she is nice. 

She has nice eyes though. "Oh shut up." I growl at my brain.

It was all going so well, I could have liked her and it wouldn't have mattered. It could have been a nice fling to pass the days whilst I am stuck here and it wouldn't have mattered. Except is does matter, her mum is Beta Starr, who is mated to Beta Matthews.  Like I said before I should have seen it coming yet here I am blindsided. If I had done my due diligence I wouldn't be in this situation.  This is my fault, but I can move past this. It just might take a little longer after I move on. I have gotten to know Rosie a little, she's a lovely girl, with an easy personality. I could even see me starting to really like her. But it doesn't matter.  I sigh long and hard letting all the air leave my lungs. "I still have to kill her."