Chapter 29

Ty’s P.O.V.

 Looking down at the pale and frail frame surrounded by white linen I sigh deeply, low and sombre music can be heard over the regular sounds of footsteps, beeping and general machinery and, of course, it only makes me more miserable. I stifle a yawn and reach out trailing my fingers down one of Rosie’s cold cheeks and tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. She doesn’t react but I wasn’t expecting her too. I lean across her and place the card I had had tucked in my pocket since yesterday on the bedside table, next to the flowers. She looks so peaceful, just lying there with her eyes closed and her hands tucked together on her lap, her lips positioned in a slight smile. A silent tear escapes from my eye and falls onto her cheek, which I brush of quickly before anyone has the chance to see it.

“It’s alright to cry Ty.” I jump at the sudden realisation that I am not alone. “I have been doing it a lot myself lately and I am not ashamed to admit that.” Dylan comes and stands beside me, he leans over and places a kiss on Rosie’s forehead before turning back to me. He looks terrible, his eyes are bloodshot and lifeless with large bags underneath them, his clothes are creased and crumpled and his hair sticks up in all directions. He sits down in one the armchairs that have been moved into the room and I take the other that is placed on the other side of Rosie’s bed. I had seen more of this room in the past few months then I had my own and could tell you how many tiles are on the roof and the food menu for everyday of the week. “You should go home Ty.” Dylan states giving me the once over before his gaze fixes back on his daughter, I look at the clock on the wall that tells me it is seven in the morning.

“I’m okay, I’m not tired.”

“Not that home Ty, your home.” A part inside me panics. “We appreciate everything you have done and sacrificed but you need to go and live your life, you have a pack to run. There isn’t anything to be done here.” He buries his head in his hands and runs them through his hair.

I feel a tinge of anger towards him, does he really expect me to just walk away? “No.” He lifts his head to look at me. “I’m not going anywhere; I will be here till the end.” I choose my words carefully because no one knows how this is actually going to end. He sighs but doesn’t say anything, both of us too tired to argue.

“Fine… Bells will be here soon, she is just annoying the doctors,” He says with a slight smile “at least go back to the pack house and sleep, she’ll want some time alone with her.” I nod my head and push myself up, getting slightly light headed at the movement due to the lack of food in my system and the sleep deprivation. When I get to the door I take one more look at Rosie, the hospital bed seems to drown her tiny frame and the pipes and tubes hooked up to the machinery and to her are extremely intimidating, especially the breathing tube, but I’m passed used to seeing it all and even thank it for keeping her alive. Winding through the corridors and out of the private wing I ignore the open doorways and the sick and the injured that they lead too, I have learnt to blank it all out.

In the overly white and sterile environment a red blur makes it may towards me. “Ty? Did Dylan have a word with you?” Bella asks gently, she looks just as bad as her husband, her usual green eyes are pale, she has lost so much weight and her vibrant hair has lost its bounce.

“Yes he did, but I’m not leaving Bella I can’t.” I say in a rush, displaying more emotion then I have in weeks.

She pulls me into a tight hug and whispers into my ear. “It’s hard, I know it is, more than anyone here I know that, but you are young and you have a life to live.” She echoes the useless words of Dylan. “Rosie is my life.” She emphasise the word ‘is’, I feel her own tears trickle down my neck and I squeeze her gently. “You can’t spend your life in these walls, surrounded by all of this misery.”