Chapter 23 (Part 2)

With my eyes securely fixed down on the floor I stand in the kitchen feeling extremely awkward, I let my mind wander thinking of anything that will keep me distracted enough to stop me from feeling like a complete gooseberry.

 There is a slight chuckle and a clearing of a throat and I look up to see them both smiling at me and I feel myself turn slightly red.

“Sorry I should probably just leave.” I say a little embarrassed that I hadn’t done in the first place.

“No, I’m sorry it was inappropriate” He replies with a boyish grin obviously regretting nothing. “Besides there is something I need to talk to you all about urgently.” But before he can start talking or we can ask questions there is a howl from the back garden and within moments wolves and pack members are pouring through the backdoor from the garden and the kitchen door that leads to the remainder of the house. I look at Mary whose panic is obvious in her eyes then I look at Rob who just looks defiant and places himself in front of Mary.

“What are you doing?” I demand. The ones who can’t answer just growl and the ones that are still in human form ignore me, which makes me angrier as a pounding starts in my head. The crowd’s part as Trey strolls in his face like thunder. He stops and looks at the scene in front of him, Mary is in a corner with Rob stood blocking her a defensive look and stance obvious, then his eyes glance to me stood a little further away and his gaze drops to my hand… in which I am still holding a butcher’s knife. Silence falls across the room as he growls low in his chest and I drop the knife to floor where it clangs loudly against the tiled floor. “Trey… it isn’t what it looks…” But before I can finish my sentence he transforms into a sandy brown wolf with what almost looks like blonde highlights and lunges at Rob. Mary and I both scream and some of the wolves cower back as the noise pierces through their enhanced hearing. Rob doesn’t panic like we do and instead keeps his protective stance not moving a muscle, he doesn’t change form and doesn’t even make a sound as the sheer weight of Trey tackles him to the ground and stands over him teeth bared dangerously close to Rob’s face. With a quick glance at each other Mary and I run over to them and grab Trey’s fur in an attempt to pull him away all the time I’m fighting with the pain in my head, but he is the same weight as a small car and our attempts are useless.

“Stop it! Stop it!” Mary shouts at him whilst hitting him with her fists, tears building in her eyes. "He's..." Mary goes to explain but Trey growls over her words and Cook moves out of the pack formation and pulls Mary back, this causes Rob to growl and the whole pack tenses.

“Trey you’re acting irrationally, stop it! Get off him!” He looks at me and I plead with my eyes for him to stop but he pushes me with his head and into another member of the pack who holds onto the top of my arms in a vice like grip. I shoot daggers at Trey unable to believe that he would ignore us like this, the fury I feel fills my whole body and a sharp pain follows it making me wince, Trey glares at the guy holding me who loosens his grip slightly, mistaking my pain for the strength of his hold on my arms.

Rob doesn’t put up a fight and when Trey is sure that he isn’t going too he changes back into his human form, all of his muscle on show… I divert my eyes and once again stare at the floor. I hear him click his fingers and then the shuffling of feet before my curiosity gets the better of me and I look up to find Trey has pulled on a pair of shorts but is still glaring a Rob.

“You have some cheek coming back here, especially after the elders forbade it.” He states, his voice emotionless.

“I had too.” Is Rob’s only reply as he pushes himself back to his feet.

“And why is that?”

“For Mary.” Trey’s patience is obviously wearing thin today as he grabs Rob by the throat and holds him up in the air, Rob chokes in an attempt to breath and his face begins to turn red. Mary cries out in shock and thrashes in Cook’s hold but he doesn’t let go.