Chapter 30

I had a lot of problems with this Chapter and i owe it Scarymm that it was finally completed. I hope you guys have read her first chapter i really do because her book is awesome. Just saying ;). 

I sat staring at the roof not taking anything in just staring, I had blocked out the surrounding area and the noises of the machines attached to Rosie, the people in the corridor and even my own thoughts. I’d been back only for an hour but I could already feel myself relaxing. I had counted down the minutes until I was allowed to come back here, Dylan had now put time limits on my visits so that I would go back to the pack house and rest, shower, eat and be a normal person for a while, but the only effect it really had was to make me irritable and in a constant battle with myself not to break the new rules.

“Ty?” I jump as a hand touches my shoulder.

“Mary please don’t sneak up on me!” I say taking deep breaths to control my breathing and heart rate that had skyrocketed at the sudden interruption.

“Oh I’m sorry, erm I thought you heard me come in is all. We’re here to take over for a little while.” She says gently indicating Rob who is still stood at the doorway, leaning on the frame, looking uncomfortable with his hands behind his back, he has been coming here for months now, at least five times a week, with Mary but he still cannot get used to this place and he still cannot look directly at Rosie, it isn’t his fault, he spent a year of his life in a place like this. When he was much younger he watched his mum slowly die of a disease that shifters have no cure for. It must be difficult to once again have to spend so much time here, but he does it for Mary and no matter how many times she tells him he can stay home he always comes so he can be here and offer her his shoulder to cry on.

“It’s fine, I got it.” I say. “I haven’t been back long.” I don’t want to leave, the only place I feel comfortable is by her side.

“I know but today you have to take a break, do you know what day it is?”

“Wednesday?”  I question, not sure what she is getting at.

“Yes.” She says frowning. “But it is Wednesday the twenty first of March.” I groan internally. “And you know what that means.” From behind her back she brandishes a card and a small brightly wrapped parcel with a blue bow. “Happy Birthday! How old are you now? Like twenty five or something.”

“I am nowhere near that old I’m nineteen for God’s sake!” I protest. “I’m only a year older than you, he is the old one.” I point at Rob who frowns at me. “And didn’t I say I wasn’t celebrating my birthday this year?”

“Yeah you did, but I didn’t say that. Besides the nurses got to give you a card.” She says pointing at the one already sat on the window sill, proof that I had spent too much time here. Her face turns sombre. “I think at times like these we need to at least attempt to be cheerful at these occasions or even just follow the normal conventions. Otherwise we’ll just fall into a downward spiral.” She glances over her shoulder at Rosie. “Even if we don’t really feel like it.”

“I think I’m already on that spiral to be honest Mary.”

“Oh, don’t be such a drama queen” She says dismissing my comment. “open your present then get the heck out of this hospital before I call security to come and take you away.” She jokes.

“You can try, I am on first name basis with them all.” I retort back. I turn the envelope over in my hand and tear open the top, inside is a personalised card with a picture of me and Rosie on it. It had been taken on an Apple store computer back when we were hanging out in secret, we had taken loads of the ones that mess with your features but this one was just a normal photo and had been her favourite of them all, we were both displaying huge cheesy grins and I had my arm around her waist, just a normal smiling pair that could pass as a couple.