Chapter 13

Rosie's P.O.V.

I ran all the way home and managed to make it a) in pretty good time and b) without falling over my own feet. It took me numerous attempts to get into the actually house though just because my hand was shaking so much I couldn't get the key in the stupid lock. It wasn't until I threw open the door and took in the silence of the empty cottage that I remembered that my Mum was away for the best part of five days and Uncle Drake would be with her, something about pack meetings. I run into the kitchen looking for contact numbers but all that I find is a note on the fridge telling me what meals my mum has prepared for me and at what temperature and for how long the need to be cooked, there is also a bit of money for the weekend in case I go out. I curse the fact that she is all the way in Scotland before pulling my mobile out of my pocket and holding down the 'm' key for my Mum's number. It rang a frustrating number of times before it finally went to voicemail and I left a hasty message about calling me back before I tried my Dad's number, no luck their either only this time his phone went straight to voicemail, he's useless with his phone I always said one day I was going to need him and he wouldn't know because his phone was off... today happens to be that day, once again I leave the same message about calling me back. Next on the list is Uncle Drake only this time the number comes up unrecognised and I take deep breaths to calm myself.

Finally I call Mary.

"Hello."

"Mary thank goodne..."

"I'm not around right now or maybe I just don't want to talk to you but leave a message and I'll think about calling you back." I wait patiently for the beep and when it finally comes I once again leave a message to call me to back.

"Does no on realise the importance of this!" I shout to no one in particular before throwing my phone on the side and launching myself on to the sofa. I bury my head in the pillows but realise that that isn't helping anything and I jump up again and begin to pace. What do I do? What do I do?

"I could go over there." I state out loud. "But how will you get there." I counter. It's about a half hour walk from my house to Mary's and it's already getting dark. "I could take a taxi with the money Mum left!" I announce before I quickly reject the idea... I hate riding in Taxis on my own. I pace for another few minutes before grabbing my phone again and pulling on my coat and army style boots. "I'll walk it." I conclude. Well I can't just sit and do nothing, she needs to know at least.

There is a chill in the air and each time I exhale I can see my own breath, the sun is slowly dipping below the tree line so there is still some light left but it will probably only last for about another fifteen minutes. At least that should be half my journey over by then. Tightening my coat around me and holding my phone tightly in my pocket I lock the front door and set off.

Ty's P.O.V.

Whilst leaving school I considered my options. Leave it alone and hope for the best or confront Rosie. I know which one I would rather do but at the same time I know which one I need to do. Choosing the latter and deciding to face my problems head on I change my course and for the second time today I disappear into the treeline.

Padding at a leisurely pace to Rosie's all of the reactions that she might have go through my head, tears, anger, disappointment and the worst one fear. The thing that I want most right now is to keep her and Mary safe, I don't want either of them to be murdered but at the moment it's possible that I may look like the bad guy. I just can't do right for doing wrong. A sense of urgency has me picking up my speed and I weave through trees in the dwindling light with accuracy and precision, my paws don't make a sound as instinctively my body avoids fallen branches and twigs. From the treeline I can see the front of Rosie's house but strangely enough I can also see Rosie, she is just stood on the door step looking in my direction, I take a few steps back and the lack of her reaction tells me that she isn't in fact looking at me. Then as if snapping out of a daze she turns back to the door locks it and begins to walk in the opposite direction. Where is she going?

I'm not a stalker but on this occasion I decide to follow her, quickly I switch sides so I am on her side of the road but hang back, I continue to stick to the trees a) because I want to know where she is going on her own at this time and b) because a bigger than average wolf walking casually down the road may end up in a call to animal control.

She isn't walking particularly fast so since I am on four legs I have to go even slower just to stay behind her, I'm lucky that tonight the wind is my favour and won't be the thing to give away my position.

Walking this slow, especially in wolf form, is seriously boring and after ten minutes my mind begins to wander, flicking from thoughts of home to thoughts of here and just stuff like that. A car hasn't passed since we started walking, it all seems deserted, she really shouldn't walk this route on her own especially now that there is very little light left and even a lack of artificial lighting.

The lack of light doesn't seem to bother Rosie as she continues at a steady pace, and why would it hers isn't as good as mine but she still has a shifters eyesight that will adapt to the dark, the sound of another pair of feet approaching from the direction we're going in can faintly be picked up by my enhanced hearing, but Rosie won't hear it for another few steps. Automatically I am on my guard and the Alpha inside takes over.

I can tell when the steps finally come into Rosie's range when her whole body language changes, her back straightens and her muscles tense. A girl in the dark in the middle of nowhere on her own... it's not a good combination, at least this time she really isn't alone and if on the off chance that this guy does want trouble I won't hesitate to jump in. We near the stranger slowly and as they get closer the shape of a man can be defined in the dark, he walks with a purposeful stride and swallows the ground between them pretty rapidly . "Good evening Miss." He says as he gets closer and a defensive growl tears from the back of my throat. Rosie's head snaps up as she glances over her to shoulder to where I am hidden in the trees.

"Evening." She replies to the man but continues moving, they pass each other... and that's it. He doesn't acknowledge my presence so he mustn't have heard me making him human and he just continues on his journey. I on the other hand have lost my cover she knows I'm here.  When the man is a suitable distance down the road I turn my attention back on to her only to find she is meters ahead of me and running down the road.

Inwardly I sigh, was she never taught not to turn her back or run from a shifter? With that thought lingering in my mind I give chase.

It isn't hard to catch up with her but I am still yet to break away from the trees and reveal myself, she constantly turns her head in my direction listening for my paws on the ground, but I know that she can't hear anything, my steps are quick and silent. She won't know whether I followed her or not and that will play havoc inside of her head. The sound of cars gets louder and louder meaning we're nearing a busier road and headlights up ahead indicate that the first car I've seen all night is on its way towards us. Rosie doesn't seem to notice, her eyesight is fixed on the treeline as she backs quickly out into the middle of the road, a horn blasts, a scream echoes and I throw myself in front of a speeding vehicle.