Ch16 • ハッピー

Suffering threatens to make life meaningless. That is its greatest danger, not the pain it inflicts. It is up to each of us to restore meaning. Doctors cannot do it for us with their medicine; friends cannot do it for us with their solace and comfort. You are healed when you can say to yourself, “I matter, I belong, I am worthy, I am safe, I can express myself, I am loved."
~Deepak Chopra

#GMACハッピー

"You ready Teph?" Asked Tyler. He volunteered himself to be my tour guide. And Teph? Yeah, he wanted to call me Teph.

"So Stephanie Nicole?"

I chuckled. He calls me by my names that long. "You can call me Nicole or Nikki or Nik."

"I'll call you Stephanie instead.."

"Uhh, better not. It's my former lady boss' name, Stephanie, Steph..kinda weird if you'll call me that.."

"Okay.. How about Teph?"

"Why don't you call me Nikki? People used to call me that.. Or how about Coco? That's my nickname back home in Arizona.."

"Coco sounds cute but that's the point. I don't want to call you what people usually call you. I wanted you to remember that I'm the first to call you Teph.." He winked. I just shook my head and let him call me whatever he wants. And that's when he gave me a new nickname. Teph as in 'Teff'.

I nodded. We just met three days ago but we've gone close already. Tyler is so chatty, he has so much funny stories. And most importantly he makes me laugh.

"Today's gonna be great!" He exclaimed as he came in the car. He said he's going to bring me to the beautiful places here in Japan.

"How'd you know that it's gonna be great?" I asked, my forehead creased. Sometimes, we thought the day will gone great, but turns out dreadful. And it sucks!

"I just know! If I wanted today to be great, it will be great.. Don't you know that happiness is just a matter of perspective?" He told while I'm looking at him amused. "Happiness is a choice. It has always been a choice.." He said looking straight to my eyes before reviving the engine to life. He got so much words of wisdom and it always struck.