Chapter 15

Please don't be a silent reader, I love reading comments and really appreciate the feedback :)
-Nikki xx

I find myself picking up the soccer ball Jaxon has hidden behind one of the bushes, and drop it in front of me.

Without thinking twice, I begin practicing my kicks into the nets the way Jaxon showed me.

"You're going to want to kick the ball with this part of your foot. With the strength you're kicking with, I don't want any broken toes."

I take a deep breath and kick it, missing the net. "Try again." I run back to the ball and juggle it between my feet, getting back into position. I tie my hair back out of my face and ignore the remaining slight sting on the top of my cheek.

I have flashbacks of the the first time we practiced and I smile, thinking about me throwing water on him and running away.

We haven't practiced in a while, but no matter what it was, he wouldn't give up on trying to help me.

I roll the ball under my foot and look around the empty soccer field. In frustration, I kick the ball across the field back towards the fence.

I turn back towards the nets and inhale the fresh air, trying to keep my thoughts sorted. Happy moments Brooklyn.

I close my eyes. Jaxon. That's all that's running through my head. From the first pick-up line he tried on me to the night we watched the stars. "Soon enough I was going to start calling you mine." I feel myself beginning to smile. What a nerd. I also remember the day we went shopping. His smirk matched with a quick wink, "Have fun butterfly." Butterfly. I never did get an explanation. I should really ask him about that. Maybe when he gets back. Just a couple more days.

"Butterfly."

His voice becomes so real as if he's standing close by.

"Butterfly."

Wait.

I feel something hit the back of my leg and turn around to see the soccer ball, which was perfectly aimed at my ankle, sitting in the grass.

I look up to see a timid Jaxon standing meters away from me with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"What are you doing here?" I ask puzzled by his presence.

He stands still and shrugs slightly, "Ellie called me."

That girl...

"Why would she do that?" I try my best to give a slight smile to release the tension and he shrugs again.

I shake my head confused, "But wait- how'd you get here so fast?"

"I drove." He states as if it was no problem at all to drive two hours straight.

"It's been two hours?" Wow, my thoughts must have really taken over.

He narrows his eyes in my direction and I quickly take my hair out of the elastic, letting it fall over my cheeks.

"What'd he do to you?" He growls, stepping close enough to be inches away from my face.

I brush it off, "Nothing."

He lifts a hand to my face and gently runs his thumb across my cheek, pushing my hair out of the way, "He did this?"

I turn away and move his hand off, "I said it's nothing."

"Nothing?" He asks raising his eyebrows, "Look at what he did to you." I can tell from his tone that he's enraged.
He cups my chin in his palm delicately, which is surprising because his touch didn't match the anger in his tone. He runs his thumb softly across where I was punched, which by now must be bruised because I flinch from slight pain.
His expressions hardens and his eyes show empathy. It's as if someone hurt him instead of me; almost like he can feel my pain.
"When I see him, I swear I'm going to-"