Chapter 2

My Saturday basically consisted of Twitter, food, washroom breaks and a movie between.

Baymax: Are we still on for today?

I look at my phone and realize I did in fact promise she could come over. I glance at the pile of homework on my desk and rub my face with one hand. Yes, okay, Ellie's name on my phone is Baymax. Deal with it.

Me: Yeah, around what time?

Instantly I get a response.

Baymax: Erm... I'll text you when I'm on my way? Probably in 30 mins?

See, this is the great thing about having your best friend only live a couple blocks down. There's no real need for a set time because if something goes wrong, they can just walk home if needed.

Me: Okie dokie

I toss my phone to the side and groan, dropping my shoulders when I look back at the pile of books.

We'll be sitting here all night and when you wake up tomorrow. We're here to haunt you and stress you out. I can basically hear them whispering to me.

Alright, it's two o'clock which means I have about thirty minutes until Ellie gets here which gives me the perfect amount of time to do a little homework without completely stressing myself out and going cross-eyed.

My arms wrap around the textbook that lays in front of me on my desk, and my head slowly hits the pages. My eyes begin to close and I focus on the silence.

Okay... so maybe more like fifteen minutes of work.

I'm just about ready to fall asleep when the doorbell rings, scaring the life out of me. I jump in my seat, pushing away from the desk. To my surprise, I must have been sitting on the edge of the chair, as it proceeds to flip over my body, causing me to land on the floor.

My door swings open and my brother starts cracking up at the mess that is displayed before his eyes.
"Mom! Mom! Brooke fell out of her chair!" He continues laughing and I push the chair off me, scrambling to get back onto my feet.
"Oh shit!" He darts down the stairs and I follow quickly behind him, "JOSHUA, I SWEAR, IF AND WHEN, I CATCH UP TO YOU, YOU'RE GOING TO BE SO SORRY. IM GO-"

I stop my sentence midway once I make it to the stairs, and see a family of four standing at the door. This is not Ellie and now I'm somewhat disappointed. Not as disappointed as my mom's going to be when she finds out I forgot about the dinner and invited Ellie, but I'm up there.

"And this is my daughter Brooklyn."

I force a smile and give a little wave, going down the stairs slowly, step by step.

They chuckle and point a thumb towards the same boy I talked to through the fence, "This is our son, Jaxon and our daughter, Juliet." Juliet looks me up and down, holding a game board in her hand. "Juliet has always wanted a big sister, she was hoping after dinner you could play with her," her mother continues.

Juliet looks down shyly and I nod, "Of course." Not like she ruined my jamming out session or anything... Not to mention that I do in fact have a friend coming over.

The adults carry on a conversation, walking to the kitchen.

"So I finally got a name to put to the pretty face. That's a relief, soon enough I was going to start calling you mine." Jaxon grins.

I glance over at his sister and she quickly looks away.

Okay. I've determined they're weird and this neighbor thing isn't going to work.