Chapter 22

Chapter 22

None of this was making sense, how could he be alive? Damn it everything was making so much sense a few hours ago, I thought I had it all figured out but no I didn’t. Shit I jumped so fast in the car I thought I left my heart on the floor.

Why fake his death? If he did it to be safe why was he out in public for my stupid ass to see? Shit, shit! I didn’t need this, he saw me! My car was gone and I ran out of pets, if someone wanted to hurt me again they’d go after people I love. Maybe it won’t come to that, maybe he’ll forget. Yeah and I really am the tooth fairy.

I didn’t know where I was driving until I got there. I ran out the car and inside the warehouse. “I need you to be here!” I yelled in the large empty space.

He touched my shoulder. “Why?”

“Damn it don’t scare me!” I should hit him for this, I didn’t want to be scared anymore then I clearly was. “The Mayor is alive!” I blurted out.

“Did he see you?”

I felt my heart sink and anger joined in with my worry. “You knew.” I stated as I sat down but then stood back up. “I did what you wanted, I asked around the station I talked with Joey so I’m done.” I said as I walked out. “Have a nice life if you make it past this.” I yelled over my shoulder.

How could I be so stupid all the time? Why was I doing this to myself? I’m an idiot simple as that. Now forget Zack, I had to worry about me. The bad guys knew I was tied to this so now my ass was on the line. I headed straight home, the whole way I made sure no one was following me. Then even inside the apartment I kept looking over my shoulder. My cell phone kept ringing but I didn’t answer it because I was too busy rushing.

I packed a bag with stuff to last me a few days, I was on my way out the door when the houseline phone rung. I stared at it for two rings before deciding to answer it. I knew it was him before I answered the dame thing because my body went into a flutter. “What?” I wasn’t up for being nice.

“Where are you?”

 “Hell.”

“Sam where are you?” He sounded upset and pushed to the edge, good!

“Home for now.” I admitted and he hung up. I was sick of him hanging up on me. I was sick of him getting to me and making me worry over his stupid ass. I was sick of this game that I didn’t understand. In minutes Zack walked through my door. “Someone is going to see you if you keep just talking around.”

“That’s ok I’ll be gone before someone can do anything about it and the people trying to frame me already know I’m in town. But the cops don’t, that was the plan so it’s working out.” Zack explained.

“Yup all working out. I’m paranoid; someone has been inside my home and killed my fish. They were looking for something because things were out of order. They took my car and left a note. They know I know where you are! How dare you screw me over like this?!” I yelled, all patience flying out the window.

“Did he see you?” Zack asked as if I didn’t say anything before.

I gritted my teeth. “Yes, happy now?”

I saw he was hoping I’d say no but I decided not to lie right now because you couldn’t be clever with believable lies when you were spitting mad. “Going somewhere?” he asked when he saw the bag in my hand.

“Yeah my parents so I can keep an eye on all of them. Alissa’s been staying with Jimmy and no one knows about him so she’ll be fine.” I answered, it wasn’t the best plan, I couldn’t keep them safe but I’d rather be sure they were ok then worry all day long.

Zack shook his head. “No come with me.” He said as he walked toward the door with me in tow, his hand on my wrist.

“Where?”

“Sam this time just come and ask questions later.”

I gritted my teeth again and left with him, I didn’t really have a choice. Zack was walking these days but now he took the keys from me and drove away. “You told me this time questions later and I came with you. Now this time please answer me, where are we going?”

“I dragged you into this mess. To be honest I didn’t think it was going to be this serious, I didn’t think you’d be in danger but I was wrong.” Zack said, I had something to add to the wrong part but I didn’t. “I believed Marty was killed by the person she was scared of, I was going to find them and the Mayor was killed by someone he pissed off. But Abby was right it all tries together.” He said now. I could see it was killing him to be wrong, in this short time I realized Zack cared very much for his job/life as a cop.

“What happens now?” I had to ask.

“I get you safe then I continue with the plan, tracking down who Marty was scared of.” Zack said so sure of himself. But it wasn’t like with other things, he wasn’t cocky sure, he was sure, sure.

“Are you close?” I asked because he was so sure.

“It’ll be over soon.” Zack said, I took that to mean yes.

“There’s nothing I can do?”

“I thought you didn’t want to help anymore?” Zack said as he looked at me.

“Well you never know.”

“Right now there’s nothing you can do. You did enough by talking and getting Abby to open up. She didn’t tell anyone what she told you. It was a huge help.” Zack admitted. It made me happy to know I proved I wasn’t just someone he could use to ask little questions at the station house, I got real good info. I helped him make this case, I wasn’t going to let him forget that fact and the fact without me this would’ve taken longer to figure out if ever.

“Thanks.” I said with a huge smile. “I’m getting good at this stuff, I could be a cop.”

“I wouldn’t go that far.”

“Hey!” He was right but you never tell Zack Myers he’s right. “You’re just worried I’ll be better than you.”

“Yeah that’s what I’m worried about.”

I had half of mind to join the force just to prove him wrong but I wasn’t that crazy. I was too busy talking with him that I didn’t realize where we were now. “Where are you taking me?”

“To stay with me.”

I was shocked he answered. “I thought you were staying at the warehouse.”

“I just made you think that.”

“But you were always there.”

“I was there during the day and when we agreed to meet but not all the time.” Zack cleared up.

“You’re sneaky.” I said and I didn’t like it but I admired it. Now as my anger started to relax I remembered what he said. To stay with me. Oh no staying with Zack wouldn’t be good. I didn’t have enough time to learn self control! Oh boy.