Chapter 16

Chapter 16

After mouth sex with Zack I rushed home and took a long very cold shower. It helped a little; I went on a pair of shorts and t-shirt again. I looked at the dress again before putting it back in the closet, I wanted Zack to notice me and he did more than I wanted him to.

Once I put the dress away I went to the kitchen for a soda. Halfway done with it my house phone rung. “Hello?”

“Dinner at seven, I’m making meatloaf and Alissa will be here.” My mother said.

Meatloaf, huh I could go for some meatloaf and by the tone my mother was using I don’t think I had a choice. “Ok I’ll be there.”

“Come early Erin wants to talk to you.”

I hung up the phone when she did. I wanted to talk to Erin too, I wondered what she thought about the wedding, maybe she was happy about it. And if they were married would they live together and where? I wondered, I’d have to ask my dad, boy that will be fun.

The phone rang again. “Hello?” but no one answered after a second I could hear faint breathing. “Hello?”

“Stop asking so many questions.” Click.

I stared at the phone, what the hell just happened? I had no idea who was on the other line and I hate to admit it but the call freaked me out. “It was nothing right?” I asked Biggie but he just swam away.

Probably a prank call, nothing to worry about. I finished the soda and decided to head to the office. It was still a few hours before I had to go talk with Erin and eat some meatloaf.

It was starting too cool outside when I got out of my car and walked inside the building. “Hey.” I said to Nikki as I walked up to her, I wasn’t in a rush to see Alissa. I knew she was stressed and a stressed Alissa is hard to be around. “Leaving?”

“Yeah got some shopping to do, wanna come?” Nikki asked as she grabbed her pink fur purse.

“Sure.” I could do some shopping, I didn’t have much money but I liked to look around, I didn’t dress up much mostly because I had nowhere to go but I did like doing some girly things like shopping.

We took my car because it was sporty and cooler to be seen in Nikki said. The mall wasn’t packed, thank god, I hated packed places. Nikki was thinking just like me, shoe time.

We walked inside and went straight to the shoe story they had inside the mall.

“You should get them.” Nikki said when she saw me eyeing these cute black strappy heels.

I looked at the price. “If I get those shoes they’ll just take my credit card away and cut it into a million pieces because they know I’ll never pay it off.” I sadly said.

“Damn girl and I thought I was tight for money.” Nikki said as we talked into the store. “Let’s find something else in our budgets. I swear I just come to this store to torture myself.” I agreed with her, it was hell to see all this and can’t have it.

I found another pair of black heels that looked just as good and kinda slutty, I loved them. I bought that while Nikki bought a pair of knee high leather red boots, also slutty but so very Nikki.

When we reached my car it wasn’t alone.

“Hey Joey.” Nikki said as we walked closer.

“What’s up Nikki?”

“The sky and these knew boots.” Nikki said with a smile.

“Nice, I gotta talk with Sam.”

“No problem.” Nikki said as she got in the car.

“How do you know Nikki?” I asked Joey as we walked away from my car.

“I know everyone.”

“That’s nice, do you know who called me about half hour ago warning me to stop asking questions?” It was still bugging me, I had to tell someone and who better than Joey who was working the case too, I’m sure that call tied into it.

“Fuck.” Joey said under his breath. “I have no idea but be careful.”

“Yeah that helps.” I was expecting something more but I just don’t know what. “What did you want to talk about?”

“Just wanted to make sure you’re ok since you ran out like your ass was on fire before.” Joey said with a shrug.

“Not my brightest moment.” I said, I went five minutes without thinking of that kiss and now thanks to Joey I was thinking of it again. “Hey how’d you know where I was?”

“I have my ways.” Joey said. “I should get going, remember be careful.” And that was it Joey walked away. I went back to my car and got in.

“That man is a god.” Nikki said as she turned in the seat and watched Joey drive away.

I laughed. “What?”

“Look at him, those eyes, that mouth and sweet Jesus that body! I’d sell my first born to just have two minutes alone with him.” Nikki said. “Ok five minutes, I’m a big woman I need some time to get into positions. Anyway how do you know Joey?”

“He helped me out with some questions I had on a case. Do you know what Joey does?” I asked hoping she did; I knew he wasn’t a cop because it just didn’t fit. He carried a dangerous bad boy vibe.

“No clue, I see him around here and there but I know nothing personal about him.” Nikki explained.

After that I dropped Nikki back at the office where she got into her own car then I headed to the house, I could just see Alissa there waiting. As I drove to the house my cell phone rang. “Hello.”

“I have to talk to you face to face.” It was Zack; I guess he was calling from his own cell phone.

“No I don’t want to talk to you. Every time I see you I do something very stupid.” I said and I was stick of being stupid, I had enough for one day thank you.

“Fine.” Zack said and hung up, guess I hurt his feelings. Too bad, if it was important he would’ve tried harder to see me or just told me over the phone. I finally reached the house; I parked and wondered what waited inside.

My dad was sitting in his favorite chair watching the news; I glanced at the news and almost fell over with shock. A breaking news sign flashed, the Mayor had just been found shot to death. I guess Zack did have something important to say.