Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I felt bad for Zack I realized as I entered my apartment. His life was going down the toilet even when he beat the charges the town was never going to look at him the same. I threw my keys down on the coffee table and talked over to my fish tank. All I had was a small goldfish named Biggie; we had such a great relationship. Biggie understood when I ranted, never judged. Forget men, a goldfish was the way to go.

I removed my jacket as I walked over to the answering machine, it was flashing red. I pushed the button and my mother’s voice flooded the living room. “Samantha I’m calling to remind you to come over for dinner. I’m making your favorite, pork chops in the oven, white rice and beans.”

Damn my mother’s beans, I couldn’t skip tonight even though I knew it was a bribe. She wanted me to talk with Erin but I was sick of my sister I wanted to kill her not talk. I glanced at the clock it was a little after seven. Dinner at my parents was always at seven thirty, I better get a move on it.

I dropped a few treats into Biggie’s bowl and grabbed my keys again. The sun was already going down; the sky was filled with oranges, blues, pinks and white. The drive to my parents was pretty peaceful, the day was ending so traffic wasn’t as killer. When I parked my car I saw Alissa was already inside. Good now I can ask her about Zack.

As soon as I walked inside and shut the door Alissa from her spot on the sofa pointed to the staircase. I let out a long sigh and headed to my younger annoying sister’s room. I hated talking to Erin about right and wrong because let’s be honest I’m no expert. I asked Alissa once why didn’t she talk to Erin, her answer was. “I got stuck talking with you and now it’s your turn with Erin. It goes down the line so deal with it.”

Ah she can be so nice sometimes. I knocked once on Erin’s door just so I didn’t have to hear her yell about people never knocking but I didn’t wait for an answer. I pushed the door inside and joined her on the bed. “Why so down little bit?” I tried the nice sister approach first.

“Mom’s really mad.” She answered in her little girl voice. I knew that voice; I used that voice when I wanted pity. I knew what she was up to.

“Yup pissed off but you know I’m not here to talk about Mami. I’m here to talk about you so spill. What’s the reason you were out late this time?” I demanded. I wasn’t having a great day so I wasn’t being as nice as I maybe should’ve been to Erin.

I waited for an answer and to my surprise Erin began to cry. Not fake pity me cry, real sobs here. “You don’t understand!” she said through rivers of tears.

“Try me.” I said wishing she would. I was really uncomfortable around crying people I never knew what to do or say.

“She’s gonna kill me.” Erin said, I’m sure she meant Mami. My mom was pretty good at holding her temper; we all knew it so for Erin to be scared made me very curious.

I got up from the bed and closed the door. “Talk to me Erin, whatever it is just tell me.” I said now.

“Promise not to tell her?” She wanted to know.

“Promise.” I wasn’t sure if that was true but I wanted to know the big secret. I’m sure it was nothing, in a teenage girl’s life everything was a big deal.

Erin looked down at her hands before speaking. “I’m pregnant.”

Ok big deal very big deal. “What?!” I shrieked, total shock taking over me. She was sixteen how she could be so stupid! Oh my god, my parents were going to flip out, oh lord I’m having a heart attack just thinking about it. “How?” escaped my mouth.