Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I had read the signals wrong between Jorge and Nikki; she dropped me off at the office then said. “I’m gonna see if he has anything else that can be useful. At least useful to me.” She winked and took off back to the station house. I headed back to Alissa’s office, she wasn’t in so I sat in the same chair I had this morning. One of the other reporters told me she had to run out for something. My guess was coffee, that girl needed coffee through an IV.

I heard the door open, I turned expecting to see my sister but I was met with a familiar pair of panty dropper blue eyes. I just looked at him, I had no idea what to say after finding out he’s a suspect in a murder.

“I guess you know.” Zack said. “I’m not gonna ask how, many cops are willing to talk to a pretty girl. Is Alissa here?” he explained.

His eyes were looking right into mine; I could feel my heart beating against my eyes. “No, she had to go out but she should be back soon. Why are you looking for her?” I asked. Curiosity is a bitch and maybe just maybe I didn’t want him to leave yet.

“I’ve been suspended for awhile and they don’t want anything leaked to the press. I’m here to give Alissa the details, it’s my job after all. If anyone is gonna get this case, I want it to be your sister’s paper.” Zack explained with a hint of a smile.

“So you’re sticking it to your boss by breaking the rules and talking to reporters?” I asked. It sounded like something I would do. I still wanted to find a way to stick it to my no good cousin for firing me.

“Bingo babe.” He said with a weak grin. The room got silent and I was still looking at him, I couldn’t turn away even if I wanted to for so many reasons. “If you want to ask, ask.” Zack said after a moment.

“What would I ask?” I knew what he meant.

“You want to know if I killed that woman.” Zack said.

“No.” I said as I shook my head. “We’re not friends or anything close to it but you’re a man of honor, you stick to what you start. You became a cop; I don’t think you would’ve killed anyone unless you had to.” I explained.For a split second Zack looked at little shocked then went back to his normal mode,; blank. The face you couldn’t read anything off of. “But, you’re linked to the crime, how’d that happen?” I asked. Of course I was curious and if he was willing, I’d listen.

Right that instant, as soon as the words left my mouth, Alissa walked in. Man she has such bad timing. “I knew you were going to get coffee.” I told her as she set the cup down on her desk and sat down. I brought her coffee this morning, did she bring me anything? No.

“The coffeemaker here broke and I needed my coffee. I need you to ride with Nikki again on an interview she’s going to. She’s outside waiting for you.” Alissa explained.

“Why?” I asked, I knew why, it was part of my job after all to ride with Nikki but I really wanted to stick around and see what Zack would tell Alissa.

“We went over this yesterday.” She gave me a weird look then recognition filled her brown eyes as she glanced at Zack. She knew I wanted to stay but there was work to be done and that always came first for her. “She’s outside waiting for you, make sure she doesn’t kill anyone.” Nikki was infamous for her temper if things didn’t go her way.

I wasn’t happy about this but she was boss and I had to listen right? Plus I could just ask her later what Zack said. “Ok, see ya later.” I headed for the door. I felt Zack watching me but I didn’t look at him. Looking at him did things to my body I wasn’t willing to accept.

“What happened with Jorge?” I asked as I approached where she was waiting.

Nikki was leaning against her bright red truck. “Alissa called me just as I was leaving the parking lot and cock blocked me something fierce. Ready to go?” she explained with a shrug that said you win some and lose some.

“Yup, let’s hit the rode.” We jumped into her car and hit the open rode.

 Open rode my ass; there was so much traffic we were at a stand still.

“This is bullshit!” Nikki yelled. “Where all these damn people come from? They weren’t here before. I hate this damn town sometimes, too many damn people and they can’t drive worth a shit.”

It was true; Miami had some pretty bad drivers. She sighed and got comfortable in her seat. “I can’t believe that cutie cop Zack Myers is a suspect. You think he did it?” Nikki asked.

“No, I don’t see him killing some chick like that.”

For some reason this caused Nikki to look at me. “You sound sure, you know Zack?”

I shrugged. “We went to school together.”

“Yeah that sounded nice and mysterious. You hit that? I wouldn’t blame you, he is a fine piece of ass. I’d hit it.”

I felt my self blush, if I was alone I would’ve slapped myself. “You think he did it?” I asked. As much as I liked Nikki I wasn’t ready to confess my past sins.

She shrugged. “I can’t say, you never know in Miami. I’d hate to see him go to prison; he got a nice ass I love to look at when he comes around to give us the latest scoop.”

This caused me to laugh hard to the point tears were coming from my eyes.

“Hot damn! We’re moving.” Nikki shifted into drive and we moved a couple of feet. It wasn’t much but it was something.

An hour later and two tons of cursing we got to the interview. The interview was for a case that ran in the paper last week but now we wanted the victim’s point of view. He was arrested for a rape he didn’t commit and now he was suing the police department.

“Let’s get this shit over with, I’m hot and hungry.” Nikki said.

I agreed, it was past over 90 degrees and I hadn’t eaten since that cup of coffee.

The interview ran smoothly, Nikki was good at asking questions. Once we got back to the office, I rushed to see Alissa but she was very busy. I really wanted to know what she knew.

I was hanging around Nikki for most of the day; we sat at her desk eating burgers. It was break time for almost everyone so the TV in the corner of the building was on. I wasn’t really watching until I heard.

“Miami PD Detective Zack Myers was just arrested for the murder of Marty Moore.”