Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Talking with the family was a bust. Nikki and I asked around with the neighbors if they heard or saw anything that night. No one heard anything so far; I knocked on the last door losing hope to find out any new information. I talked with Ms. Sanz and bingo baby she remembered seeing some guy at Marty’s apartment the night before she was killed. Some yelling went down but she couldn’t make out the words, then the guy left and Marty slammed the door. Hmm.

I got a feeling that man was the killer or knew something about the event that took place the next night. There were a few names of Marty’s friends in the story the Herald ran. Ok so I was ripping off tips from another paper, so? I was still new; I considered it help to a fellow reporter still trying to get the hang of it. Nikki and I parted ways after she gave me to task of talking to the next potential lead, Marty’s beat friend.

I hopped into my green baby and read the name off the list. Abby Walker went to school with Marty, she talked about the pain of losing her best friend in the quote the paper had. Abby was listed so it was easy to find her. She owned a penthouse on Miami Beach or Money town as I called it.

Abby was tall, blonde with green eyes, and if I was a guy I’d want her in a heartbeat. She was in a beautiful sundress, I felt kinda out of place with my shorts and t-shirt but oh well this job didn’t come with a dress code. I told her who I was, she seemed hesitant to talk with me but after I promised she could have the final say in the article she let me right in.

Truth be told I was looking for answers on the case more than trying to make a story. Joey and Zack got me roped in, I wanted to solve the case as much as them, I just wasn’t a cop and I had no idea what I was doing but those are details I decided to put aside. Plus if I could get answers and make a report no one else had Alissa’s paper might sell more, that was a good plus.

I became very jealous on the penthouse; my apartment was small with just enough space for my crap. But this place was huge and roomy all around, I bet she didn’t worry about were she was going to fit her new pair of shoes or extra case of soda.

We sat down on the sofa and I began asking my questions. “When was the last time you saw Marty?” I had my pad and pen ready in hand.

“About four or five days before she died.” Abby said as she began to bit her perfectly done lower lip.

“What happened that day?”

“We met for lunch and we talked about this and that you know girl stuff. Then she got a call and had to leave.” Abby explained. “Then later that night she called and I wanted to know what was happening but she didn’t tell me. That was the last time we spoke.” I could see that was bothering Abby to know the last time she talked to her best friend they were fighting.

“Do you have any idea what was happening with Marty?” I hoped this could lead me to an identity of the guy Ms. Sanz saw.

“I don’t know.” Abby said.

I could see she was uncomfortable now, looking away from me. I knew she was lying. “Abby this could help the case and make sure Marty’s killer is put away. Whatever you say will stay between us, if it makes the paper you’ll be anonymous the whole time.” I felt giddy inside, I knew what she had to say would help the case.

“I know Zack Myers couldn’t have killed Marty, I just don’t see him as the killing type.” Abby said now.

“Do you know Zack?” I didn’t let on I wasn’t happy about the question.

“He and Marty were friends nothing more, that’s how we met. We went on a few dates awhile ago, I got to know him well enough to know he wouldn’t kill Marty.” Abby said.

Zack didn’t just date, sex was involved I knew it and I wanted to stab him. I knew he was with women but I didn’t want to know who they were, geez he is such a slut. “So then help me figure this out, I know talking to the cops is never easy so work with me like I said you can be anonymous and help the case and Zack.”

I saw her think about what I was saying, her and Zack having a thing turned out to be good for now. “A few years ago Marty developed a problem with drugs.” Abby began. “I think she started using again and got mixed up with the wrong people.”

That would explain why she was so scared lately. “Do you know who she was buying from, maybe where?” I also began to wonder is Zack knew about Marty’s problem but I could just ask him that myself.

“She didn’t talk about it, I wanted her to get help but she said this time she had it under control. That’s why I think she was using again.” Abby said.

I thanked Abby for her help and she agreed to talk again if I had more questions. I left the penthouse building and ran to my car, the heat got worse from before. Alissa wasn’t expecting me at the office so I headed home and took a fast shower. I dug around my closet and found this dress I bought last month but never wore.

After seeing Ms. Perfect Abby I decided to spice up my look a little, I pulled out the sky blue halter dress that tied around the neck. I threw on some black panties and the dress; it was a little low cut so a bra wouldn’t work. I found a pair of white short heels to match the dress and I was done. It was way too hot to do anything with the hair so I tied it in a high pony tail and left the room.

Biggie looked at me. “What? So I got dressed big deal.” I said but it looked as if Biggie knew why I changed and where I was going. I decided to pay Zack a visit, I was sure he was hiding out at the warehouse.

I grabbed my keys and left.

Since the sun was up the warehouse wasn’t so spooky. No one was around no one came to this place anymore or even gave it a thought. I walked up the hill and took a look around. Zack was nowhere in sight but that didn’t mean much, he was good at hiding. “Hello.” I called out but nothing. I walked father inside and looked round the pipes and the maze look the place had. It was easy to hide.

“I know you’re here.” I said. I felt hot and bothered, only Zack brought that feeling on so easily.

“Good instinct, you should be a cop.”

I smiled. “Nah I don’t like cops, they irritate me.”

“Nice dress.” Zack said when we came face to face.

“Thanks.”

“Real nice dress.” Zack said as he gave me another head to toe look.

“I got some questions to ask you.” That caused him to finally look back at my face.

“Ask away.”

I knew this was going to get me in to some sort of trouble but I didn’t know how much.