Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Mystery was the perfect word to describe Joey. He didn’t give anything away, and if he did he didn’t answer the questions that came after it. I tried to make him tell me but he wouldn’t so I gave up nearly an hour later. He left the room to make a call and that’s all I remembered before falling asleep.

When I woke up both Joey and Zack were both gone. Great I thought as I left the bed. They were probably working on something and felt the need to leave me out of the loop again. They had their case made because of me but no that wasn’t enough to at least tell me where they were going. Bastards.

There was some food in the kitchen, everything to make a sandwich so that’s what I did. It was about four in the morning but I was hungry so screw time. I grabbed a soda and headed back to my room, the rest of the apartment was too creepy to hang out in. Everything was dark and empty, the perfect hide out because no one would think to look for anyone here and a De Luca owned it. No one in their right mind would cross them.

That got me thinking of Joey again, who is that guy? A De Luca and a cop working together and they said pigs couldn’t fly.

That sandwich did the trick, I was feeling sleepy again when my cell phone rung. “Hello?” I asked and wondered who would call me at this time of night. Oh no Grandma finally took the big one.

For a second there I didn’t think anyone was going to say anything, that made my worry levels worse but I knew it wasn’t about Grandma or any other family member dying because someone would’ve been screaming on the other line. “Sorry to be calling so late.” I recognized the sobs after hearing them all last night; Abby Walker.

“It’s ok, what’s up?” I said, I was glad she called maybe she had more useful information to share. That and I was really feeling sorry for the girl, her friend was dead and she had no one to talk to but me.

“I was just thinking about Marty, I still can’t believe she’s gone. She was a friend that can’t be replaced, we talked about everything. And now I’m all alone.” Abby said. I wasn’t good with this; I didn’t know what to say to make her feel better. But I’m sure nothing would help her pain. “I was hoping we could talk again face to face.” She said now. “I could really use a friend.”

Damn I was stuck here and I’m sure if she knew something else she wouldn’t tell me over the phone. This was a time to make a judgment call and go with it. “Where are you? Home?”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll be there soon; I just have to take care of something first.”

“Ok, thanks so much Sam.”

“Yeah no problem.” I said before hanging up. Yeah no problem at all, Zack and Joey were going to kill me for this. But the way I see it it’s their fault, they left me alone and they knew I sometimes did stupid things like leave a safe house in the middle of the night when a killer might be after me.

I threw on my jeans and t-shirt. I know Zack left the keys to Alissa’s car somewhere around here so I just had to find them. I began to get mad that Zack felt the need to hide my keys, what he didn’t trust me?

Ha! Hide them in the freezer trick, mom use to do that with the car keys so grandma wouldn’t sneak out ion the middle of the night. Gee Zack wasn’t being so smart now. I grabbed the keys and my bag and headed down the never ending flights of stairs.

It was so dark outside and even creepier, there were no street lights or other house lights on. It was me and the moon. I hauled ass and jumped in the car then took off before anyone that could’ve been a round saw me.

It was going to be a long ride so I began thinking it all over; the case.

It started with Marty Moore’s death being reported and before the day was out Zack had been arrested because Marty was killed with his gun. I later find out he left her his gun because she was scared. Both Zack and Abby said she was scared but they didn’t know whom she was scared of.

Next Zack comes to me for help to lurk around the station and Joey comes into the picture. He’s helping Zack but they don’t like each other, strange. The Mayor is killed but the police haven’t released a suspect name. But now I know the Mayor is very much alive and possibly hiding out in the ghetto streets of Miami.

Abby had said the Mayor was killed because he couldn’t pay off his daughter’s debt but it seemed now he faked his death so his enemies wouldn’t kill him for real. Smart but dangerous for me. The yet unknown stranger Marty was scared of and the people he worked for believed I knew where Zack was. So maybe the Mayor is thinking the same thing and they all wanted to tie up loose ends where Zack was concerned.

Now I had all these very dangerous people believing something that was true; I knew where Zack was.  This had to end and fast before one of us ended up seriously hurt. I also didn’t like the fact my name was known by these people. They could get mad one day and feel like killing someone and remember me. Not good.

As I got closer to Abby’s I wondered about the stranger again that Marty feared. Why doesn’t anyone know who that was? Maybe Zack already figured it out and just won’t tell me. Maybe Abby knew but is too scared to say something.

Maybe tonight she’ll talk again and tell him who the person is.

Lots of maybes to hope for.

While I parked at Abby’s my cell phone began to ring again. Having a feeling Zack or Joey realized I was gone, I didn’t answer it. I grabbed my bag, made a few adjustments then headed up the walk away. Signs that the sun would be rising soon began to show, it gave the sky some glow.

I knocked a few times and waited. Abby appeared with a smile on her face, no tears insight. “You’re right on time.” She said as she pulled me inside.

I came face to face with the Mayor. Oh shit, damn I am stupid enough to walk into a trap.