Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Holy cow this wasn’t good. I went and sat on the sofa near my father’s chair and listened to the report. Mayor Derrick Moore was found by his wife just a few hours ago, he was in his home office dead in his chair. So whoever killed him got inside, maybe the Mayor knew him? I began to think Marty and the Mayor knew their killer and that it was the same guy Marty was worried about.

At the moment I had a strong urge to talk with Zack or Joey, I’m sure they had their own ideas about this like I did. But they both seemed to like not answering my questions so I stayed at the house. Once the report was over I headed upstairs to talk with Erin. Alissa still wasn’t here.

“You look better.” I told Erin, I was glad not to see her crying.

“Thanks. Mom’s still pretty upset but she’d been acting real mom like. Dad won’t look at me though and Grandma wants me to name the baby after her if it’s a girl.” Erin explained. You just had to love grandma, she moved with the times, she was a hip old lady, my mom was still in her times but that wasn’t such a bad thing. Mom was a great woman; grandma was just funnier to be around.

“That’s good. It’s a big deal; you have to give everyone time to deal.” I knew my parents would never be happy about the fact she was sixteen and pregnant but I hoped they would accept it. “Have you talked to Theo?”

“Yeah on the phone, we both agreed it could’ve been worse. Dad could’ve killed him and dump the body. Marriage doesn’t seem bad; we knew we’d get married at some point anyway.” Erin said. I saw that look across her face again, puppy love, double yuck.

“What happens after the wedding?” That was what I wanted to know.

“Theo and I are still going to school or both our parents will kill us. Theo’s Uncle John owns an apartment building and he’s gonna rent us a place pretty cheap and give Theo a job. Mom and the Myers were talking and they agreed us living on our own was for the best so we become adults and she also said there’s no way she’s raising my baby.” Erin explained.

I liked that mom was forcing Erin to be an adult, I was sure she’d baby her like she always had. “Sounds good so far.” I wanted more for my sister and maybe she can still have more if she kept at school which she better because I’ll be on her ass like white on rice.

I heard a clanking sound coming from outside, I got up from the bed and ran over to the window. The tires sped away, my tires sped away! I hauled ass down the staircase and outside. My car was gone my green baby! Oh my god I’m having a heart attack, this can’t be happening.

I looked to where the car was parked and there was a note taped to the street. It was one line: Where is he?

Fuck, fuck fuck! He had to be Zack and that meant someone knew I was helping him. And they took my car and I had a feeling the same person was the breather on my phone. I really didn’t expect this when I agreed to help him; I thought the worst that could happen was I slept with him again but not all this. The person came to my parents house, that began to set in. I can’t put them in danger.  

“What happened?” Grandma Loupe asked as she and my mother appeared on the porch.

“My car was stolen.” I said as tears stung my eyes, I loved that car and another reason I’m crying; I didn’t have insurance! Insurance costs money I don’t have so I was careful not to get pulled over by the cops. I never thought of something like this, fuck.

“This town is going to hell in a hand basket.” Mom said as she threw her hands in the air and went back inside.

I shoved the note in my pocket and finally turned around. “I’m not feeling up to dinner anymore.” I told grandma. “Tell mom I’m sorry but I have to go. I’ll call her tomorrow.”

“How you getting home?”

“I’ll walk.” I didn’t really have another choice, Alissa wasn’t here and dad hated to drive once the sun went down and it was going down now. It was a long walk but I needed the exercise anyway. I said goodbye and headed down the street. It gave me a chance to think about everything.

I had no idea who was doing this to me but it had to be someone looking for Zack, maybe the real killer. Oh great the killer is coming to me for answers, not good at all. I didn’t know what I should do next. It was getting dangerous but I don’t know if I could just walk away.

“Why are you walking?”

I nearly jumped out my skin I was too busy thinking that I didn’t hear the black SUV pull up next to me. “My car was stolen.” I said as I dried my cheeks. I hated to cry but this was too stressful and emotions took over.

“Get in.”

I really wanted to know how Joey knew where I was all the time. I just met him but I trusted him so I didn’t think anything bad about it, so far he was a big help. “How’d you find me this time?” I asked as I dropped my purse to my feet and looked at him.

“I went to your parent’s house and your grandmother told me you took off on foot.” Joey answered.

“Why were you looking for me now?”

“Got some questions about the call you received and a new question. What happened to your car?” Joey asked as he glanced at me then focused on the rode.

“It was stolen right in front of the house. They left a note that said; where is he? That’s it! My car was taken! My car was my baby, my love now gone and I didn’t have insurance so I have no car now and can’t afford a fucking new one, shit.” He asked so it was my right to rant to him. I just felt like yelling and hitting someone like the asshole that took my car. “Do you think after this whole mess with Zack and Marty Moore is over I’ll get my car back?”

I saw Joey trying to hide a grin. “You’re cute when you hold on to hope but I gotta be honest. Kiss the car goodbye kid.” Not what I wanted to hear but I agreed the car was gone. We reached my house and Joey parked in the lot.

When we reached my floor and I opened the door I nearly fainted but Joey held me up right. I felt tears sting my eyes again then finally fell down my face. I felt Joey usher me more inside then shut the door. My eyes were focused on the floor, glass and water everywhere then a couple steps away Biggie lay dead on the floor. “No.” I whined as the tears turned into sobs.