Chapter 3

Chapter three

The main offices of the Miami Wave were located just two minutes from the police station, Alissa had picked the location namely for that reason so she’d have a head start getting the latest scoop. I parked my car and headed inside and straight to my sister’s office. Since the two buildings were so close, I didn’t have any time to calm down, I was still furiously pissed.

“We need to talk.” I simply told her, not coming across as a very angry female yet. She was on the phone, she held up a hand, mouthing in a minute. I sat down on the white sofa located along the wall next to her desk.

I was pissed because she didn’t tell me not because I still felt something toward Zack Myers that was not the case. I got over him years ago, it wasn’t like we were together, it was some stupid affair that meant way more to me than it should’ve. It sure as hell meant nothing to him.  

Ten years was a really long time but who am I kidding, he still got to me and I hated it. Zack was one of those guys a girl never forgets, no matter what. He’s the one woman talk about to her great grandchildren.

“What’s up?” Alissa asked, I’m sure she knew what it was. There was a smile on her face, why was she doing this to me?

“Zack Myers is a cop and the cop on the case you put me on. Why didn’t you tell me?” I had no idea where I learned to become so calm, I wanted to yell but I thought this approach would be better, for now.

“I guess I forgot. It’s not like it matters.”

It doesn’t matter? If anyone knew how I felt, it was Alissa. “I was blindsided. My heart jumped out of my chest when I saw him, some warning would have been great. I had no idea he was in town or a cop, how long did you know?” I never would’ve pictured Zack becoming a cop; he had a bit of a bad boy streak to him. There were valid reasons mothers didn’t want their daughters with him.

“He’s been around for two years.”

“Two years?! How the hell didn’t I know that?” Seriously, people in my town had a big mouth, how could I have not known? I’m losing my touch.

“He’s been pretty low key, work and not much else. He didn’t want everyone to be in his business.” Alissa explained.

“You sure have all the answers.” I crossed my arms and looked away from her, I was being childish again.

“He gives me good tips, we kinda became friends. And not friends like that, I’d never sleep with Zack.” Alissa said.

“Why not?” It wasn’t like I wanted my sister to sleep with him; I was just wondering.

“Because you have and even if you’ll never say it, you loved him or something like it.”

Damn my sister knew me too well and because of that I couldn’t stay pissed at her.  “If I keep this job, will I have to talk to him a lot?” I asked but I didn’t really have a choice, I needed money so that meant keeping this job until and if I found something better.

Alissa exhaled deeply, this wouldn’t be good. “You’ll probably see him a lot. Even if he isn’t working the case, he usually makes the statement, its kinda part of his job.”

I had to make sure I understood this. “So any case I report, it’ll involved Zack somehow?” didn’t this turn out to be the most perfect day in my life? It was sad considering I woke up so excited to start my new career.

“Most of the time, yes.”Oh great joy.“Are you going to quit?” she asked, slightly worried.

“Can I have another job?” I was being childish again but this time I was begging and hoping my pout would have some affect like when we were kids.

“I am so hurt you don’t want to work with me.” the all to familiar male voice chimed in.

No, hell no. God couldn’t hate me this much for Zack to be standing behind me. But sure enough he was standing behind me.

“What’s up?” Alissa asked Zack, looking over my head to greet him.

He walked up to her desk and laid a file down. “That’s it, case closed. There’s the details we can give out.” He explained.

“The case from this morning?” I asked.

Zack looked at me, those damn infectious blue eyes. “Yeah. She was here in secret visiting a boyfriend her family didn’t know about. They were at the beach and they began to fight, he flipped and held her underwater. Confessed to the whole thing. Right after you left.” He kept looking at me.

“Whoa.” I mumbled, my first case went by pretty fast and had been much easier than I could’ve hoped for. I knew it wouldn’t always be like this.  

Alissa handed me the file. “Here since you worked it by yourself I need the article by tonight.”

My first official article. “Ok.” I said and they looked at me with surprised looks. “What?”

“Most people bitch about having to type reports out.” Alissa said.

“I kinda like it.” I admitted. And I did, when working for my fucker of a cousin Mario; all the paperwork and order sheets were sent to me. I enjoyed it because I loved to type and it was simple. I loved words and putting them together in reports and articles. I started to get excited for this job again and then he spoke screwing it all up.

“If you’re ever feeling bored, I have tons of paperwork at the station you can type out. It’ll give us a chance to catch up again.” Zack said.

I’m sure now he loved to taunt me. I didn’t even say anything because that’s what he wanted. “Since I came into this case late. How do I normally go about this?” I asked my sister. Best to ignore unpleasant things.

“Reporters fight to be the first one on the scene, to get the info before someone else does. When there’s a murder, something big, I want you there. You interview anyone willing to talk and you get it back here and we get it out to the people.” Alissa explained. There was such a passion in her eyes as she spoke, she really did love her job.

“You want me there, meaning like day or night kinda thing?” I cringed to ask.

“Yup.” Zack answered as he sat beside me on the sofa. The sofa wasn’t that big, big enough for two people and barely, there were two chairs, why oh why didn’t he sit there?

“Continue to partner with Nikki and if a case comes in during the night she’ll call you. I might also have you work with some of the other staff and learn the ropes.”

“Ok, I’m gonna go.” I had to stand up and get away from him.

“Are you coming home for dinner?” Alissa asked.

“No, I got stuff to do.” I answered then looked at Zack then at Alissa. “Remind Erin of what I said and make sure she listens.” Then I left.

So I was fired from a simple job that I maybe loved. Now I was working with my sister with a job that was anything but simple. And to add to the cake, Zack Myers would be around. Today was definitely one of the books.