Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I wanted the rest of the day to be boring. I had enough excitement and drama to last the rest of my life these last few days. Nikki and I parted ways, she said she wanted to step out and get some breakfast, I told her to bring me something back before I went to Alissa’s office.

Of course she was going through paper work. “How’s the paper going?” I asked.

“Not sure yet.”

I sat down. “Don’t make any choices yet, I’m sure the story to sell more papers is coming your way.” I wanted to give her hope, I wanted to be the best little sister in the world and fix this for her because one I loved her and two I knew how much it meant to her to give the Latin community a voice.

She looked at me, that sister look as if she could read my mind. “What are you doing?” she was worried I was doing something stupid. Man if she only knew.

“My job, working the case.” I said and added a shrug.

“The Myers case is the only one you have. Shit Sam what are you getting yourself involved in?” She was letting her fear show and I liked that the tables were turned, I had been plenty worried for her last night.

“Nothing…I’m just helping out.” I couldn’t lie to Alissa for too long, it just couldn’t be done. She and our mother had these dark probing brown eyes that made you spill your guts better than any truth serum.

“You’ve seen Zack haven’t you?” Fear for my well being quickly turned into anger over my silence.

So I caved. “Yes. Since you put me on the case he used me as a smoke screen to get answers from the station.” Ok so I couldn’t tell her everything, sue me.

“That’s it?”

Hell no. “Yes.” Once this was over she’d thank me and look pass the fact I lied straight to her face. So I hopped.

“Do you know where Zack is now?”

“No.” That was the truth, I wasn’t sure if he was still at the warehouse. “But please enough about me. Who’s Jimmy?”

Alissa stayed silent so I could see she was thinking. “You were worried for me then you called Jimmy’s so that means you didn’t find out until that moment. You saw Zack last night.” Shit she was good, this investigative shit must run in the family.

“So?” Even if she was right which she was, what was the big deal?

“Are you sleeping with him again?!” Alissa demanded, she was the only person on the planet that knew what being with Zack did to me. She nursed me through the broken heart.

“No and stop yelling. I’m a big girl now if I wanted to sleep with him or anyone I could. But I’m not. I’m helping and nothing more.” A few kisses didn’t count as much, not enough to tell Alissa about. “Now back to you, who is this guy?”

Jimmy was a stock broker, boring. He and Alissa met at some business meeting/party a few months back and hit it off. She looked happy as she talked about him; that’s all that mattered.  My head stopped hurting as bad and I wasn’t mad at Liss for making me worry any more.

I left her office and met with Nikki at her desk. We ate McDonald’s for breakfast, it doesn’t get any better than this. As Nikki typed up her latest report I looked through the paper ads. I needed a car, something cheap and used. This made me think of Mario, him I would stay pissed at for awhile. “I need a car, what am I going to do?” I said to Nikki.

“Any ideas who took yours?”

Yes. “No.”

“That sucks. If you did we could’ve tracked them down and pop a cap in their ass. There’s one thing you don’t miss with, a woman’s car.” Nikki said.

“I’ll be back.” I left the desk and went back to Alissa’s office. “I need your help.”

“What’s up?”

“My car was stolen and I need a car now to do my job.” Alissa threw her keys at me, I caught them. “Huh?” this was a little easier than I expected.

“I have two cars remember? I can just drive the SUV until you get something. You can take the car and I’ll call Jimmy for a ride home.” Alissa explained.

“Fuckin A!” I was giddy when I left her office. I had wheels! And I had to test them out so I left the office.  As soon as I left the parking space my cell phone rang. Someone was putting a cramp on my plans. “Of course that someone would be you.” I said after I knew who it was.

“What?”

“Nothing. What do you want to screw my life over now?” I asked as I drove down the street.

“I talked with Joey and he told me about what Abby told you. When did you and Abby become friends?” Zack wanted to know.

“We bonded over you, we both agree you suck in bed.” Total lie, Abby didn’t know about my past with Zack and I wasn’t going to tell her or anyone ever.  

I heard him laughing on the other line. “You’re funny; I’ll talk to you later. And again we did it various places but not a bed…well not yet.” Click.

That’s it? Why the hell did he call me? I swear he became more annoying with each word he uttered. Puh-lease we’ll never do it on a bed or anywhere else, I swore to never sleep with Zack Myers again and I wouldn’t. Some point between now and the next time he decided to suck my lunges out I’ll learn self control. Samantha Martiz, girl with a plan.

I was heading to the supermarket; I needed food in my place badly. Alissa didn’t have any cases for me to work which was odd, this is Miami, crime should be everywhere but I had no complaints I wanted today to be boring.

I got a lot of TV dinner, soda and chips. Yup I’m a health freak, I loved the worst. After the supermarket I headed down town to the bakery. A crappy street, everything was falling apart but this place has the best home made cookies and I needed them right now.

I ate two of them as I walked back to my borrowed car. My eyes looked across the street; there was a dark building with a large opening, like a garage. The man I saw looked very familiar, too familiar.  Oh crap he looked right at me, he knew who I was and I know who he was. The Mayor was no deader than I was. And if I didn’t haul ass like right now; I would be dead.