~Chapter Nine~

I turned the page of my book and snuck another quick glance at the kid. About twenty minutes had passed and all he had done was stare at the text book with a blank look. I didn't think he even turned the page.

I knew for a fact that something was either terribly wrong or something had shocked him. He wouldn't just sit there and stare at something for no reason.

Plus he looked so tired. Has he been sleeping at all?

I haven't seen him at all last week because he cancelled all the tutor sessions, claiming he had to do something after school. I knew it wasn't after school activities or clubs since everything was cancelled all December. Something was wrong and the bags under his eyes proved it.

"You look exhausted. Go home and lie down." I closed my book and his head snapped towards me.

"Huh?" he gave me a confused look.

"You heard me."

He shook his head. Did he actually not hear me? He's really out of it.

"Okay." I said slowly then re-worded what I said to make it sound harsh.

"Go home. You should've cancelled this tutoring session too. You're wasting my time."

I hoped that would make him protest then tell me what was wrong but instead, he started packing his bag. He didn't even mumble "sorry".

"Bye" he stood up, not looking my way.

I stood up as he began to walk away and blocked his path.

"What's wrong?" I asked, sounding a bit bossy. I felt the need to do a face palm. I didn't think I could sound gentle or comfort another person no matter how much I tried.

"I-If you're upset about something, then you won't be able to concentrate. If you can't concentrate, then there could be no point of me tutoring you." I added. That was unnecessary, wasn't it?

"Sorry...." he mumbled. He made no attempt to even get past me.

"Quit apologizing!"

Just how many times was I going to remind him to stop having the constant need to say "sorry"?

"Sorry...."

Did he not just hear what I just said-

"I'm so sorry.." he choked out. He wasn't apologizing to me was he?

"I really...." he trailed off and suddenly took a step towards me.

What was he-

His head abruptly dropped on my chest.

"I really can't do anything...." I heard him say, his body trembling.

My body froze and I was at lost for words

Was he crying? What was he crying about?

What was going on? Why was he-

Did he say he can't do anything? What did that mean? Was he blaming himself for something? It had to be serious because one, it seems like he's losing sleep over it. Two, he wasn't aware that he was leaning on me. He had a shy personality and got embarrassed easily so I knew if he was aware, he wouldn't do this even if he really wanted to.

It was that or maybe he really had no one else to lean on and desperately wanted someone to hold. No one knew what was going on with him right?

My chest felt a bit tight when he raised his hands and clutched onto my shirt.

So...not only did I not know what was wrong with him, I also didn't know what was wrong with me as well. I HATED being touched. Unless you're someone I really care about, I don't want you touch, lean or hug me. And yet...I'm allowing this kid, whom I had known for about a month, lean on my chest....in public.

My eyes met with a few female students who looked younger than me.

They had a surprised look on their faces then started whispering.

I mentally mocked them.

'Haha, look at us! We had seen something that we know nothing about so since our lives are boring, we're going to make assumptions then tell the world.'

In the back of my brain, a voice was telling me to hug him so I stuffed my hands In my pocket.

I was allowing him to lean on me because he needed to and I was going to respect that.

Damn it. No matter how hard I tried to fight it , this kid got to me. I...cared for him, I wanted to comfort him, help him...and hold him.

I really don't want to get close to him...but he's making it impossble for me not to!

Plus, even though neither of us was holding each other, my body felt warm and fuzzy,as if I just passionately hugged someone I cared for.

-------

I wanted to add SOOOO much more but it was taking forever so I'll just put everything i was going to write in this chapter in the next.

The reason why Noah was upset will be explained in the next chapter