-Chapter Thirty-Two

(Noah's P.O.V)

            After a hour drive, I finally arrived at my grandpa's place which was an apartment. I did like going to his place but there was one problem; the wife. I didn't like his wife and neither did anyone else in the family. When my grandpa left my grandma, nobody, not even his own family, spoke to him for a year or so. The new wife was so fake and she got on everyone nerves but everyone bites their tongue for grandpa's sake. Ugh... but she probably knows about me. I don't think grandpa's reaction will be too bad. I don't really remember him being apart of condemning Alicia's homosexuality but I never heard about him supporting it either. However I had a feeling that the wife will have a strong reaction to my homosexuality like my family would.

         When my mom parked outside of the apartment, my grandpa was already in the front, waiting for me. My heart raced a little. How was he going to react? 

        I unbuckled my seatbelt and grandpa opened the door, a big smile on his face.

       "Hey, pumpkin." 

        I froze. He was smiling and still called me by that strange nickname. So....he wasn't angry? Uncomfortable? Was he being fake? Did he even know anything?

            'H-Hi grandpa..." I said quietly, getting out of the car. My mom opened the trunk and I got my suitcase from there. While I was doing that, I heard my grandpa trying to talk to my mom, calling her 'sweetie'. However she gave curt responses, making it clear that she doesn't want to talk to him. So my grandpa said goodbye and he put his arm around me.

            I only reached up to his shoulders. He was tall and looked a bit young for his age. The only thing 'old' about him were his huge, round glasses he wore. Other than that, you wouldn't believe that he's in his 60s. 

               "So how is everything?" he smiled, his voice was cheerful. It seemed a bit hard to fake so....he really didn't know anything? But how? Usually my parents, mostly my mom, would tell EVERYONE in the family whenever something happened.

                   'Did my parents tell you what happened?'"I asked, cutting to the chase. i needed to know if he didn't know or if he did and was pretending that nothing happened.

                   His smile faded a little bit but it was still there. That was good....right?

                  "They tried to tell me but I wouldn't let them. I just heard that they needed me to watch you so I happily accepted. Whatever happened between you and your parents and between you and your parents. However, you can talk to me about it if you want to. Okay? I would rather hear it from you, not them."

                   I nodded, not being able to fight back the smile as the weight has been lifted off my shoulder. I haven't felt this relieved since I spoke to Eric.

                   Grandpa then changed the subject. 

                      "How's school? How are your friends?"

                    "Fine" I replied. I wanted to tell him everything. About Dustin, Eric....especially Eric. But it's probably best if I don't.

                        "Did you meet anyone?" He asked and something in me shifted. Crap. Now I REALLY wanted to telll him about Eric. But I can't...not now.

                       "No." I lied and he simply said okay. No questions, no pressure. It seemed odd because almost all my family would've asked me 20 questions on why I haven't found a girlfriend.