Prologue

This is the second story within this series. However, you DO NOT have to read the previous book to understand what happens in this one. The previous book was more background/prequel to this one. This is the epilogue for the previous book, though. The first chapter will be up within the month. Enjoy. xxx

Prologue

2013

The hospital room was dark and unnerving. Steve didn't feel safe, not after everything that had happened this past week. His skin crawled with paranoia. He glanced at the lamp on the bedside table, itching to turn it on. But the IV in his arm pulled a little too much and he wasn't sure if he had the energy to move that much.

His body ached with every breath, specifically his abdomen. He knew he was healing pretty quickly, but three bullets in the gut were still going to take some time. . .

He wasn't sure he if even had enough time to heal properly. He needed to get out, to help take down Hydra and finish this for good.

Steve really wanted to turn on the damn lamp.

Sam would be back tomorrow morning after his meeting at the VA. Natasha had texted him saying she was booked solid with meetings on Capitol Hill, but she'd try and come over as soon as she could. Even Tony and Bruce had mentioned making a trip down to DC for a weekend to see Steve.

Part of him was glad he had made new friends in this bizarre era, but part of him just wanted to see Bucky again.

Bucky. . . The Winter Soldier.

God, he was an idiot. He should have jumped off that train after him, then he would have been able to see that Bucky was okay. They would have been together, bloody and bruised, but together.

Steve wanted to leave this place. He had work to do. He needed to find Bucky and rid the world of Hydra again.

If only he wasn't so exhausted.

Steve tried to get comfortable without moving his body too much. He pushed his head back into the pillows and carefully wrapped the threadbare blankets around him even tighter. The chill in the hospital was almost too much. . .

The door creaked open and a body slinked into the room. They shut the door again and Steve could hear the click of a lock. Steve squinted, trying to see the figure from his permanent station on the bed. Usually, the nurses flip the light on. . .

"How are you?" Steve ordered, already trying to sit up. An unintentional hiss of pain slipped as he tugged on his abdomen a bit too much.

Steve watched as the body tensed in the doorway. "Are you gonna come in or not?" He tried to keep his voice stern, but a bit calmer.

The person turned started for the door.

Steve sighed. "Can you at least come turn this lamp on?" The person paused and Steve noticed that they had a hood on over a baseball cap. "Please?"

The person walked towards Steve cautiously. He moved quietly, his feet not making a sound. He raised a hand and shifted his body so he was facing Steve.

The lamp came on with a click and the room brightened up in an almost warm glow.

And the man's face was revealed.

"Bucky," Steve gasped. The man grimaced and moved away quickly. Steve reached out and grabbed his wrist, his right wrist. "Wait, please," Steve practically whined. "You came here for a reason, why?"

Bucky paused, the tension in his shoulders obvious. "I don't know."

"Then will you tell me why you helped me? Why'd you save me?" Steve blinked away the tears that had welled up in his eyes, the heart monitor beeping a little faster.