Chapter Twenty Three:

"You have no luck at all, you do realise that?" Ashley said to me, with a dead-panned expression on her face.

"You think?" I muttered. Sarcasm was dripping from my voice. I folded my arms across my chest, and I couldn't help a little pout cover my lips. Okay, so I was acting a little childish.

"Wait," Ashley narrowed her eyes at me and moved a little further forward on the sofa. "You're not happy about this whole situation, are you?"

"You think?" I repeated. Sarcasm was strong and evident in my voice again and I even earned a chuckle from Michael.

"So, let me get this straight," Ashley mumbled as if she was trying to piece a puzzle together. "You wanted to kiss Hunter?"

I could feel my face flush red as I thought about answering Ashley's question. Although I did want to kiss Hunter, I didn't want to admit it aloud. Saying it would make this crush real and I still wasn't sure how to feel about it yet.

"So, I'll take your silence as a yes then..." Ashley deduced. "It's so cute! Don't worry; you will get your perfect kiss soon!"

I chuckled at her enthusiasm. I had no idea why she was so desperate for me to be in a relationship, she wanted me to be happy I suppose...

"We talked about our date." I smiled, knowing that it would send Ashley off another tangent, away from the habits of my lips. Michael seemed to notice what I was doing and sent me a cheeky wink, but he stayed silent.

My tactics worked because Ashley's eyes lit up, she grabbed my hands and began bouncing up and down on the sofa.

"Oh really?" She exclaimed. She then took a deep breath and I closed my eyes, bracing myself because I knew what was coming next. "Tell me, tell me, tell me, tell me, tell me!"

I laughed and fought my hand away from Ashley's grip so that I could use it to cover Ashley's hyperactive mouth.

"If you'd shut up for a minute," I said. "I will tell you."

And that's exactly what I did.

Needless to say, Ashley was more excited about my date than I was, which would be weird to an outsider. But it was completely normal behaviour for us. Hunter and I decided that we would meet up in a couple of days, which was perfect... According to Ashley. Because this meant that she could pamper me the whole of the next day in preparation for the date.

Ashley would have a field day.

We got to work straight away the next morning. God only knew why Ashley was so keen to get me ready. This meant that poor Michael got kicked out of the house (because Michael slept over again. I reiterate: why didn't he just move in?). He received a hug from me and a swift kiss from Ashley. He told us he would return tomorrow. Ashley advised him he should stop by after I had left because she went crazy when she got into makeover mode and all her attention would be on me rather than her boyfriend.

Someone remind me again why Ashley was my best friend?

As soon as Michael was out of the door, she grabbed my hand. She began ransacking my wardrobe once more, trying to find something suitable to wear. She would have to find something in one of our wardrobes because I refused point blank to go out and buy a new outfit. I knew how long we both took when we went shopping and it was not an experience I would like to relive so soon after the last time.

Eventually, Ashley had crawled to the back of my wardrobe and found a pair of denim, high-waisted shorts. The legs weren't too short, but it would leave quite a lot of my leg bare. Showing my legs didn't really bother me, though.

"Who knew you owned something stylish?" Ashley joked as she inspected the shorts. They were a little creased, but it wasn't anything that a good iron couldn't fix.