Chapter Twenty One:

I barely got any sleep after the sudden realisation I had. Groggy with the remnants of sleep, I got up and conducted my usual routine. After that, I slumped into the living room, still half asleep in search of some food.

Ashley and Michael were already up and eating breakfast by the time I had entered the kitchen area. Ashley was currently feeding Michael some egg off her spoon romantically, but it grossed me out.

"Ugh. Couples." I commented as I plopped myself down on a chair at the dining table. I rubbed my eyes and stifled a yawn.

"Well, good morning to you, Miss Sunshine." Michael winked at me. I rolled my eyes and fought the urge to swear at him.

I was very grouchy when I didn't get enough sleep.

"Don't mock being a couple until you've tried it." Ashley chuckled; she then jabbed my side. "Which could be sooner than you think."

I rolled my eyes, but I couldn't bring myself to protest. Especially after realising my feelings last night. Because I did want to try being a couple, didn't I?

"Uh-oh, you're not arguing," Ashley commented. She placed a plate topped high with a full-English breakfast in front of me. "Are you okay?"

"I didn't get a night of very good sleep, that's all," I reassured her.

"Any particular reason?" Ashley asked, as she ate a piece of bacon. Thankfully, it was her own piece of bacon and she wasn't feeding it to Michael.

I shrugged, attempting to act nonchalant, even though Ashley could see through any façade that I held up. She always did.

"I have a lot on my mind," I let her know.

"Anything you want to share?" She asked, concerned. I decided that at that moment, I was going to tell her the realisation I had the previous night.

"Yeah, actually." I sighed.

Michael stood up from the table and grimaced. "I'll let you two talk. Don't want to get involved with girl talk." Girl talk scared the crap out of Michael.

"No, you can stay," I told him, gesturing for him to stop moving. "You'll want to hear this as well."

Michael looked wary, but he sat back down, with wide eyes and a terrified look on his face.

"What is it, Talia?" Ashley asked; fear covering her every feature and her eyes were wide. "You're scaring me now."

I let out a short laugh and tried to reassure my best friend. "It's not that bad. It's just... strange. Considering what I'm like."

"Oh, okay." She said, looking a lot better. Her posture had relaxed, and excitement filled her eyes. "What's got your knickers in a twist?"

I rolled my eyes, and I decided to come out and say what I was feeling. I couldn't hold it in for much longer. Ashley's heart probably could not take it.

"I was thinking about what you said last night," I said. Okay, so the 'come out and say it' plan wasn't working, but I was getting there. I took a breath and tried again. "And I figured out that you might be right."

Ashley looked so confused. "Huh? Honey, you're going to have to be more specific than that. I said a lot of things last night."

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and let it all out. "IthinkIlikeHunter."

I said I was going to let it out. I didn't say that anyone was going to understand a word I said.

"What?" Michael voiced his confusion.

"I think I like Hunter," I said much more slowly, but I couldn't say I was calmer than before. "Like, romantically... possibly."

There was silence as my words finally sunk in. But when they finally did, Ashley shrieked and started dancing around the table.