Chapter Twenty Nine:

"That was wonderful!" David smiled at me after I'd sung my song.

A tentative smile appeared on my face. I would not get my hopes up. I would not get my hopes up.

"Thank you." I smiled at the audition panel.

"Now, I'm not sure when you'll find out the outcome. It depends on how quickly we come to a decision. But you'll find out either way." David told me. Well, that was new and oddly polite. Usually, they wouldn't bother with a reply if you didn't get the part.

"Okay, no problem. Thanks again for this fantastic opportunity." I replied.

We said our goodbyes, and I exited the audition room. It wasn't until I had exited the actual building that I allowed myself to breathe a sigh of relief.

That was it. I had completed all my auditions for Moulin Rouge. To even be called back for two extra auditions was an honour and a privilege. I didn't even want to think how amazing it would be if I actually got the part.

But like I said, I was not getting my hopes up.

I walked back to the flat, at a brisk pace, knowing that Ashley and Michael would be back there. They would be eager for my arrival so I could tell them all about my audition.

And sure enough, as soon as I stepped through the doors, my best friends bombarded me with questions. After three auditions, you would think that Ashley and Michael would have a calmer approach to it by now.

Evidently not.

"Are you not over me auditioning yet?" I asked them through my laughter when I had finally sat down and taken a breath.

"Are you over auditioning for it?" Ashley counter-asked me.

"Well, no... Not really."

"Exactly! So, we won't get over hearing about it!" Ashley reasoned. She trotted over to the chair and sat herself down, flanked by Michael. "Now, come on, tell us all about it!"

So that's what I did, for the final time. It was now that I realised I was in a very strange chapter in my life. I had a weird sense of... Conclusion. Although I had left university a few months ago now, I had finally realised that I had left, and I was on my own. Especially if I didn't get the Moulin Rouge job. I wouldn't know what to do because I was so consumed by thoughts of the audition. I wasn't even thinking of getting an agent, a task I would now have to do.

Also ending the audition process for Moulin Rouge sort of set an end to mine and Hunter's relationship... Whatever it was. Because he was the one who got me the audition in the first place. He was the one who helped me out through the majority of the process, and now that was over. I had nothing to connect me to Hunter anymore.

I couldn't tell if that made me feel lighter or made me feel upset.

"Aww hun, I'm so proud of you!" Ashley attacked me with a hug. "And even if you don't get the part — though I'm sure you will — I'm still ridiculously proud of you. I know this is something you've heard countless times, but it's such a massive thing to even audition! I'm sure you'll get plenty of other offers too, because of this audition."

"Fingers crossed." I grinned. I wished both Ashley and Michael would have both had an opportunity like that; they deserved one. Though I was sure they would have plenty of opportunities in the future. We all had plenty of time.

Ashley then got a mischievous look on her face. "We should do something cool to celebrate your fantastic achievement."

I looked at her, a wary look in my eyes. "Not a party."