Chapter Nineteen:

"Bye!"

I bid farewell to the lady sitting at the desk at the front of the building before pushing open the glass doors. I walked out onto the pavement.

I felt oddly optimistic after the audition. I believed that I had performed well, and the rest of the panel seemed to like it. But I didn't want to get my hopes up too high, because there was a high chance I wouldn't even get a call-back.

David told me at the audition that he would be in touch either tonight or tomorrow if I had won a call-back. If I hadn't made it to the second round, I would receive nothing. It was cruel, but that was the nature of this business. The industry itself was ever changing and hopefully for the better, but there are still some harsh realities surrounding it.

The silence as I walked back to my apartment was deafening. I was buzzing, and I needed something to calm me down. I fetched my phone from my bag and switched it back on, wanting to listen to music. But as I was about to click on the Spotify icon, I noticed I had a text. It was yet another text from Hunter. It read:

I rolled my eyes at how over-dramatic Hunter sounded

I rolled my eyes at how over-dramatic Hunter sounded. That was theatre kids for you. I decided I would cut out the middleman and call Hunter as I was walking back home. I dialled his number and placed the phone to my ear. It didn't take long for Hunter to answer.

"How did you get on?" Were the first words out of his mouth.

"Hi to you too, Hunter." I chuckled. He let out a disgruntled groan in response. "It went well, thanks. Why are you so bothered?"

I could almost see Hunter shrug on the other end of the phone. "I was curious, that's all. Naturally, I would want to know how you got on, but I was the one who got you the audition."

"Well, that's sweet." I chuckled in a teasing tone. "But unnecessary."

"Whatever. Now tell me, how did it go?"

"Alright, I suppose. I'd rather tell you in person because I'm bound to forget something." I let him know, scratching my eyebrow with my free hand.

"Are you almost home?" He asked.

"Yep."

"I'll tell you what. Why don't I go over to your apartment, wake Ashley and Michael up, and then we'll wait for you to get home? And then you can tell all three of us at the same time. That way, you won't have to repeat the story." Hunter told me in almost one breath.

"That sounds like a good idea." I grinned. "Good luck getting Ashley and Michael up, though. If they're not up now, they will sleep through the full day."

Hunter laughed. "I'm tempted to go around there and bang together as many pots and pans as possible."

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. I did it last time, and she stopped talking to me for a week." Recalling the memory made me chuckle.