Chapter Sixteen:

The rest of the day went swimmingly, and we got a lot of work done. We raised our spirits after the heart-wrenching discussion we had at lunch. I practised my song more (Hunter couldn't resist joining in, making me chuckle every time). But we ended up spending more time talking and laughing rather than rehearsing. I had a fun time, and I didn't think I had ever laughed so much in my life. Not even with Ashley and Michael, which was strange to admit.

We seemed to laugh as if it was the easiest thing in the world. And something even a little amusing had us laughing until tears were streaming down our cheeks.

Since our chat at the café, we had seemed to have grown closer without either of us even realising it. I no longer wanted to tear my hair out in frustration whenever he mentioned how talented he was. One of the main reasons he would say these things was because he thought he was hilarious. He also appeared to get an amusing reaction from me, so that spurred him on to say more.

We seemed to get along like a house on fire, and everything seemed so carefree. Much to my surprise, I even received a friendly hug from Hunter when he dropped me off outside my door.

It was a very good hug.

"Oh, you're in a good mood," Ashley commented when I breezed through the front door. She was smiling, with an excited glint in her eyes. She seemed like she was bursting with anticipation so that she could quiz me on the day. "Did you have a good time?"

I placed my hands on the back of one of the dining chairs as I pretended to think about Ashley's question. I was only doing it to annoy her because she was so impatient when it came to these things.

I finally smiled. "Yeah," I replied. "Yeah, I did."

"I knew you would!" Ashley squealed, clapping her hands together in excitement. "You can tell me all about it in a bit because I need to make sure I have my outfit and everything sorted for the party tomorrow!"

"Oh yeah, the party." I murmured, distracted.

With all the excitement of the day, I had almost forgotten about the cast party tomorrow. But now that Ashley had reminded me, that was the only thing that consumed my thoughts. At once, I had a million and one thoughts whirring around my head and they were all about the party tomorrow.

But I would not lie; all the thoughts that occurred about the party involved Hunter in one way or another.

It scared and excited me at the same time.

***

I slipped my feet into my insanely high heels. It was a mystery how I was even going to walk in these heels, let alone dance. Why did I let Ashley convince me to wear these shoes for the party? Especially when I almost fell over the last time I wore them.

As I looked at myself in the mirror, I straightened my dress. I decided I would do my own hair and make-up for the party tonight, refusing to let Ashley get her hands on me. I wanted Ashley to focus on herself, rather than pampering over me. She always moaned that she never had enough time to get ready, because she was doing my make-up. So, I told her to take the night off and I would sort myself out. It was only fair.

I was used to doing hair and make-up because I would do my own when I was in a show. So, I was somewhat of an expert at doing my make-up and hair.

However, if you asked me to do someone else's hair, I would not know where to start. I also had to remind myself to let my make-up be natural because I was so used to wearing excessive amounts of it. This was to ensure that the bright lights on stage didn't wash my skin out.

Looking at myself in the mirror, I was surprisingly pleased with my efforts. I would have looked better if Ashley did it, but I convinced myself I had made the right decision. My make-up still looked natural. I had, however, darkened my lips with a deep red lipstick and added light eye shadow to my eyelids.