Chapter 15

At this moment, I feel the effect of light hitting me while the sun rises gracefully for the first time in a while. I don't shed any emotion to such an action, as I'm still partially asleep. My eyelids are rested, but as minutes go by, they quiver slightly. I become a bit more active as I turn over, brushing up against something ever so delicate... or perhaps, someone. My eyes then protest being shut, and giving in to my own curiosity, I open them half way. For a moment, I second guess my vision, but as I become more aware, my eyes adjust; when they do, it's hard to write off my surroundings as pure imagination. A gentle arm holds my waist, slightly pulling me closer to theirs.

"...My king,"  they whisper hushed.

My brow softens at these words. I wear a confused expression; a mixture between sorrow and relief. King... what's going on? Where am I?  My body lies bare beneath a sheet, so close to another's... so close to my queen. My lips part to allow a silent gasp. This can't be real,  I tell myself, but her eyes fool me as they draw me in closer, refusing to be mistaken for anyone else. Her hair rests softly against her glowing skin, exposed solely for my own desires. How enticing she appears, that for once, I forget about all that I'm doing. My hand unconsciously travels to that beautiful face, touching lightly to confirm what's mine... to confirm what's real. As I caress her carefully, the room becomes radiant with the single smile she shows me in return. I don't understand at all. What am I doing here? Am I dreaming? Moments ago I was... In that moment, a switch in my brain clicks on, and I pause mid thought. I can't remember... My worries express themselves on my face, and my lover reciprocates my emotions.

"What's wrong...?" she asks me in a direct, but calm voice.

I feel heat as a hand traces the definition of my abs, applying gentle pressure to my chest. Her focus shifts towards my eyes, and I retaliate with the same attention.

"(Y/n)..."

She's waiting for an answer, but I myself have no words to give. I've come to question many things, but now, have I forgotten all over again? I break out of my queen's hold, feeling guilty as I do. I sit up in bed, rubbing my temple like one does when they experience a bad headache. Am I simply tired? Surely, all is normal... right? I'd like to think that, but I can't write off this feeling; this feeling that, something isn't as it should be. If only this damn memory of mine would put itself to use. It's frightening, but I've heard of such people before. People who go about their day, oblivious to anything wrong. In reality, they're stuck on a time cycle. When that time runs out, they themselves reset, and even more frightening, so does their memory. They wake up like I, expecting it to be the first week of Monday, when in fact, months... years, have gone by. Now it's no longer Monday, but Tuesday, or Wednesday... this continues until death; a rare mental illness, if you wish to call it that. I don't have such a disorder, but if I could describe my feelings, I would compare it to this. Right now I'm in bed, which is nothing out of the ordinary. But what happens when I can't answer my own questions such as, "what came before?" Sensing the mood change, my queen speaks for me, trying to make light on all of the unwelcomed stress.

"Don't tell me," she teases kindly, "Is the responsibility of pharaoh getting to you?"

Her voice is enough to pull me out of my thoughts, and back to the real world. I sigh wearily, feeling defeated by the eternal struggles conflicting with the here and now. But what is now? If I'm being honest, I'm known for over contemplating. I have my lovely girl, my palace, my title, the wealthiest kingdom in all of the world... am I not being grateful? What is greater, that I need remember anything else? Let me be content for once, so that I may give attention to the one in front of me. I fake a soft smile, turning my head back around.

"Don't concern yourself over me, (Y/n), I'm just fine."

This was all I could say, and therefore I left it at this. As Pharaoh, it's my responsibility to make sure my kingdom is well and thriving. All of these duties, and so much resting upon my shoulder. I should be getting ready as I greet this day. My queen will understand this.

"I must go," I say.

I was expecting her to argue back, but she nods understanding. She acknowledges the hard work I put in to keeping this country alive, and therefore doesn't despair when duty calls. I couldn't ask for anyone else. I push myself to the side of the bed, and let my legs hang over the edge. My clothing is already lying out for me by my dresser. My bare feet hover over the stone floor, making light contact. I slip into my usual shoes as I walk over to a tall mirror. I should change, before anyone sees me so bare. I look back at my queen through the mirror's reflection, only to see her lying peacefully, but eyeing me every second or so.

"Why don't you rest longer?" I tell her, "I can't disturb you, when you look so content."

She reassures me with a smile, and I know I've done right. I slip into my tunic and shirt, and ready myself with the remainder of my jewelry. I leave the crown for last, as it completes all that I stand for. I hold it firm between my grasp, staring down at its royal carvings. I give myself one last look before trying it on. Now I appear as I should. Pharaoh...

///////////////////

See? I told you. When I give myself a deadline, I can get anything done. xD I'll try to keep updating every Sunday like this, just for future notice. Now, more about the chapter. I really tried to write this in a way that was non confusing, but I really don't know if I managed to do that. If you remember last chapter, Atem's 'darker self' had finally started a game. I won't say much about this, but Atem appears to be in a different place at this point. Without his memory, might I add.... again. xD We'll see if he catches on. ^^ Enjoy you guys!