Chapter 5

Atem's POV

I come to a stop in the long hallway, unable to keep up my pace. My forehead brushes up against the wall as my hands grip it lightly for support. My energy in this place is diminishing at an unhealthy rate. So much so that I'm barely able to stand. I feel nauseous, and my pupils form a slight blur that cloaks my vision. I look up drearily, unable to take in what I'm seeing. Everything looks different now. This wasn't the hallway I'd been running in. My heart gives out a violent beat, which causes me to cough.

"Not yet..." I say, slightly wincing.

I place a hand on my forehead. I had lost track of the voice I was following. I was running around aimlessly now. There wasn't anyway for me to get back. Had I been wrong about before? The scream I heard. Was it simply my mind playing with me again? But it was so real... I'm very unwell. I need help, but I fear it can't be found. I need somewhere to rest for a bit, though I'm strongly against it. I'm slowly tortured. My mental and physical strength drain. It  knows this, and it makes it a goal to beat me down. However, I'll end up collapsing soon, and then I'll be in a far worse predicament. I have to give in this once, but not here. If I take one of the doors, I can possibly go somewhere safer. Or if I'm wrong, I'll be leading myself closer to death. I can't risk that. My head throbs, but I shake the feeling away. I can't give my enemies such pleasure. I'll continue on until my last breath. If I can manage myself for a few more moments, I should be able to successfully go on ahead. I should be safe then, or, safer at least. I support myself against the cold wall that I can't help but hang on to. Having the slightest bit of will, I take slow, painful steps. My vision distorts itself, but I ignore this, just like all else in this place. It's only my-

"Agh..."

The static of an empty mind is present within me. I feel it explore my conscious until I hear nothing else. It takes over my instincts as it sends me commands. It calls out with an expectation that I answer.

"Follow me... Atem."

I grip my forehead tightly in an attempt to block out this untrustworthy noise. I'm punished for it as an ache pulses through me and my area of sight becomes deceitful.

"...Follow me now."

I look up wearily. My vision strains itself to see in this welcoming darkness, nearly at its peak. It all comes together as shadows form within the limited point of my vision. My eyelids rest slightly, determined to protect me from what lurks here. Beyond me, I hear soft cries, all of which are foreign to me. Am I being mocked again...? My brows furrow to reflect my emotions clearly. I haven't the time for this. My eyes shoot open, ready to defend. Without my knowing, a third eye appears upon my forehead, lending me its help and power. It illuminates the little space here in an empty attempt to drive away the darkness, and yet... I see it  standing there as clear as ever. A faceless person is shown in my path. It blocks my way. The meaning of this is unknown to me. I stare it down with eyes full of confusion. It's expressionless before me; a mere figure of the past. I expect it to come closer, but it's content to observe me from where it is. And then, to my surprise, I hear it say my name.

"Atem..."

Upon hearing this, I gasp lightly. The figure in front of me... no, it can't. I manage a groan. What's real anymore? Our gazes are locked now. I can feel its strong presence.

"Are you-"  I begin to say.

It cuts my sentence off when it steps towards me. Its hand is raised out. My footing is nearly lost, and I fumble backwards due to slight panic. I can feel the breath of the figure as we're merely inches away. What was it aiming at? What did it want? A hand comes into contact with my face, causing my heart to slow, and my eyes to widen in shock. It's a warm gesture, completely opposite of the cold demeanor here. I stare at the shadow with sad eyes. I don't understand... completely unharmed, the person before me is unlike this place. I've felt nothing but sorrow in my time, unable to grasp the role I play here. The hand moves from my face, and my eyes follow as it rests against my chest. It's only the figure of a person, and is therefore incapable of bringing me physical contact, but the feeling I receive is mental. I reach out my hand to touch it, but it pulls away. Its eyes focus towards the end of the hallway as it turns its head back. That's right, I need to leave here. I look back at this mysterious figure, and just like that, it begins to fade from my line of vision. I find myself pleading with it, knowing that when it leaves a source of my comfort is taken along with it.

"Wait!" is all I can say.

However, it goes before I can finish. All that remains of it now, a soft whisper that will forever remain with me. Its words...

"...I'll lead you to peace."

//////////////////

I had trusted in what the voice had told me. Since I was visited by her, yes, "her"... you know, it was just a feeling. The touch was gentle, and all I could think about, all I'm reminded of... my queen. Ever since this person appeared, I had a new confidence. One fear I've discovered, I can't be on my own. The thought of dying alone, knowing that I have no comfort... knowing that no one cares. My existence returning to nil, wandering eternity without a tear shed from below, it fills me with sorrow like nothing else can. I'll lead you to your peace... I associate peace with death; a calming end that will relieve me from my suffering. All I want is to be rid of this hell. I start to hope for an escape caused by my own decisions, and not my enemies.

Within the short moments I spend walking, though I can barely call it walking, the end of the hallway finally comes to me. Just a little longer,  I tell my tired body. I must admit though, I've certainly been holding out. To get this far in my state, and only moments ago... well, I won't look at the past like this. This place is a future, and it's in these moments that my mental capacities will truly be tested. I back up, touching the wall cautiously. I seem to be left alone for the moment, which is exactly what I want. Finally, my legs give from supporting me for so long, and I lie down. I leave my eyes open. A door stands beside me. If I run out of options, it'll be a last resort. My breathing comes to an even pace as my mind shuts down. As I drift into an unconscious state, I can swear to hearing the sound of an Egyptian lullaby... one sung only to me by my beautiful lover.

I miss her...

(Y/n) POV

"Atem,"  you say silently.

You watch him closely as he lies down. You go unseen for the moment, letting yourself rest, just like your king is doing. You follow him everywhere, but it drains your strength to keep yourself visible, and therefore you can't do it often. Your eyes remain locked on the pharaoh. You act as some kind of guardian angel. You notice he hadn't a proper bed to sleep in. You would let him lie on your lap if possible. You walk over to his fragile body. He looked so tired and worn. On nights he would lay with you, you would sing to him a lullaby. It started in the shower, where you would often sing to yourself. Atem had overheard you one time with a surprise visit to your chambers. Ever since, he had insisted you do it more often, claiming that your voice could rival even that of the gods. Though, you would disagree. Your hand rests against his back now, and even though he couldn't feel you, you knew he could tell. And just like all the night's you were with him, you began to sing. 

////////////////////

I hope y'all enjoyed this. I kind of skipped over your pov a bit, so I hope the timing doesn't seem odd, because you guys were in the afterlife last chap, and now you're here. Just saying real quick, they take place at different times, and I never really mentioned, so at this point whatever Mahad did worked. I'll go back and write it in at some point in a flashback, but I didn't think it fit here.