Chapter 7

I walk... and I walk... as much as my legs would hold me, and as far as my feet would go. I had long since lost track of time. Everything stands still, and I come to realize how little my energy was truly restored. A presence follows me constantly. Sometimes I can't feel it, but knowing is instinct. I don't talk. Speaking words is pointless as all that picks up are silent responses, reminding me of it all. I'm constantly faced with the unknowing. This is my enemy. One can never truly be safe, and even with the help I have, it can't protect me. It's only use is to keep me sane. I decide to forget. It's nice to have someone, but when you become unaware, your want for them breaks you. Your heart needs to be protected. A dying one is of no use, so you must remain strong, not like I. I who allow myself to be consumed by emotion and longing. It hurts me, but I enjoy the pain. I begin to welcome this place like my own, and accept this cruel fact. On my search for answers, I keep an occupied mind. I want to see the girl again. Something about her brings me peace, the only weapon I have against the darkness. I had come here trusting my strength, but I know in reality how weak I am. I play a small part in the world. I've done nothing special; I haven't saved anyone. From what I remember, this is a punishment. I must have done wrong then? For me to wind up in such confinements brings me to question who I really am. Pharaoh...

I thought I knew of my title. My memory allowed for it, and so did this place. I have people, ones that are safer than myself. A presence tells me of such things, but what am I deserving of? Surely not this. But, aren't I here by my own mistakes...? I shake my head, blocking out these thoughts, but accepting it more and more. Will it always be like this? Will I always question things I should already know the answer to? My queen is looking down upon me, but she won't find me; I'm lost. Yes, surely this is punishment, but I doubt now of how deserving. If it is, I won't allow her to love me... how could she?

"My queen!" I call out.

My head tilts upward. I become so lonely that I pray for relief... I cry for it. I foolishly expect sympathy, but I'm pitied more than anything. Her name slips off my tongue repeatedly. I feel better when I allow myself to say it. The one who's always watched out for me... you were always there. My mind is taken aback at the words, "always there." It leads me to remember things I hadn't previously. I groan, pressing my finger tips against my head as certain memories reveal themselves. These images... how do they find me? Upon silent moments, I start remembering. I gasp aloud.

"I-I remember!"

Yes, it was a normal day at the palace from what I saw. What else was here? Answers. Everything was in its place, with nothing unknown to me. A change I could finally welcome. I was at my throne, scanning the room for people. Some of them I recognized, but I had difficulty remembering names. I then saw a priest discussing something amongst him and an elder. They spoke of someone, and I hear my name mentioned as well. I feel a strong pulse from my chest, and what follows...? Zorc.

"Zorc?"

Why do I know this name? What is this feeling of danger? My memory fast forwards. I see myself marching to a bedroom, however, it isn't mine. It belonged to my queen. I give out a cautious knock; this is done quietly. I put my ear to the door, listening for a voice. As expected, I hear the words, enter. As if obeying some sort of command, I let myself in. The door shuts behind me with a click.

"Atem," I then hear.

My heart beats violently as my name is said. Her back faces me. Like always, she stares out towards her marvelous balcony. The view here is peaceful, and calm. She liked it for these reasons. I decide to join her as she takes in the gorgeous vicinity. As if all is normal, I go about loving her. My strong arms hold her waist with such gentleness, and my chin rests upon her left shoulder. I hum contently.

"It's a beautiful sight," I say, bringing my lips to her ear.

"It is..." she replies, though her focus is diverted from me.

I could feel something was wrong. Almost immediately my hands go from her waist to her arms as I spin her in my direction. I make her face me, and I force our eyes to lock.

"I was talking about you."

I try to keep a soft appearance. It was easy once I saw her face. My breath may have escaped me. The most beautiful girl in all of Egypt, no, the world, stood before me. That wasn't why I was lost for words though. At this moment, I felt a piece of my heart return. My love was no longer a mystery. She was no longer hidden from me. I remember it all.

"(Y/n)...?" I say faintly.

Her eyes show concern, but I take away the pain. My hand runs through the back of her hair, my fingers being entangled in it. Without warning, I crush our lips together. It was a rough kiss at first, but the two of us melted into it with passion. I regained a new feeling upon such sweet contact... one that hadn't been with me in a while. I felt complete. My queen and I, forever at the other's side. This is what made sense to me. I pull away from my memory, overcome with emotion. It was too much at once. I take a seat on the floor, face held in my hand. I praise the gods for (Y/n).

"(Y/n)... (Y/n)..."  I say her name happily over a dozen times.

However, this isn't all I remember. My mind opens for me, exposing the truth for everything it ever was. It finally chooses my side. I have all the answers, and the mystery of my role here can finally relieve me. Everything would soon be known to me, as the next thing I remember was...

"You don't have to go."