Chapter 13

~~That's right. We were at the beginning of a game. You don't get to leave once it starts...~~

Atem's POV

I continue to listen to the figure's hate filled accusations, as if a slave, taking heat from their master. And like a slave, my body shakes before them, half expecting them to lash out... I wait for this. All the while, my eyes water in anger for the one I lost. I won't allow emotion to consume me, and therefore I do good to hold back. For what is weak in the eyes of tormentors, if not the tears of a victim? I can't wrap my head around the words I hear; confusion is their key to succession. Forget about my pride, I've already given this much. I only wonder if the girl is truly gone from here, or hiding from me, not of her own accord.

"I'll tell you something right now. Pharaoh, I find it to be a plain concept... I know everything about you. I know about your self-doubt, and your struggles... All this time, you've been chasing after your own comfort. I must say, you found her quite easily. Won't it satisfy you to know, that after everything, your queen was so close to you...?"

"M-my queen...?!"

"Oh, but, didn't you know?"  He sneered, "No, I suppose not..."

"What the hell are you talking about?!" I lash out. I don't pay mind to my temper, for I blind myself with hate. "Tell me, before I kill you!"

I realize now that in my situation, I step out of line. I'm not playing around anymore. It's one thing to harm me, but whoever so lays hands on my love shall face me on their knees, begging... crying out for mercy. I can't confirm his words to be true... After everything, your queen was so close to you... Why would he say this? I don't understand. If she really was here, then surely I would have known. Surely she would have told me. To think that I couldn't recognize her... and all along...

...(Y/n), were you really the girl who walked with me all this time?...

I begin to contemplate all that's happened. Searching around my memories, I stumble upon something which causes me to become breathless. It was near the beginning, when I knew very little about anything. Desperate I was, searching for answers... and only to question more as time went on. I had only just met the girl. It was a rather odd encounter, I admit. The way she suddenly appeared before me, like a ghost. She looked like one too; no face, no eyes... a shadow figure. Despite her unsettling looks, I felt something unusually satisfying about her. Once she approached me closer, the piercing gaze of my enemies grew less frightening. I felt her reach out to me in sadness, and I allowed her beside me; I needed her with me. Perhaps this was the meaning of, chasing after one's comfort. It wasn't too long after that I was passing through doorways. I remember a warm light entrapping me, blocking out the darkness if only for a few, quick moments. That's when I saw her... the real her. I still remember the color of her hair, down to every tiny detail. When she turned around, her face was blank. Why? It was my duty to interpret this.

Everything about her was so familiar. And then... I had a vision. No doubt, they're one and the same. If this is true, then my beloved is gone. Just where did she go? Taken from me again? I won't forgive this place... I won't forgive this imposter. I've been accused more than enough for deeds I know nothing about. I've been tossed around, being put down in a place they  saw fitting. My jaws lock together. My eyes open wide as if I'd just discovered something truly horrific. My body shakes harder and harder. My heart beats violently in pain and anger. I become murderous. The tension in this place changes. The air feels slightly different now.

"Unforgivable..."  I say hostilely.

"You're right,"  the dark figure replies to me, "It is unforgivable."

He plays along as if he has a damn clue as to what I've been through. His eyes lie to me. Behind them, many secrets are kept. How long will he keep up such a petty game with me? But isn't that right? He wanted one... what will he do?

"Ohh,"  he coos, "You think you've gotten this place figured out? It only gets much darker from here. I'll show you hell..."

"I've already seen hell..."

"Do you really think so? That was nothing compared to this. I intend to break you, in every way possible."

"Let me feel your rage then, and maybe you'll begin to feel mine. For it is I who is truly in the dark. I've been strong up till now. You won't see me fall so easily. Break every bone in my body, but watch me stand up triumphantly in the end."

"You're really something, Atem... but in the end I see, you'll bathe in blood."

He takes a few steps back as if preparing for something. Only time will tell the outcome. Just what does he plan to do? No, I don't have time to question. Only words and actions can settle this now. I'm far at a disadvantage. Despite my strong threats and cocky attitude, I'm crumbling on the inside. I feel broken... lost and desperate. I'm afraid of what will come.

...keep fighting...

I hear these words. All I've worked for... shall I give it up so easily?

"Pharaoh... this is where it ends..."

////////////////////////////////////////

Omg, I 'm so sorry guys! I didn't expect myself to take so long with this chapter, and it turned out pretty short in the end, too. Yeah, this is what happens when I don't give myself a deadline. I should just stop promising things. x'D Trying to wrap this up as best I can. I'm struggling just a bit on ideas, even though I know how I want it to go. I have so much school, it's hard to write. I'll try not to be so lazy with this in the future... please enjoy ^^