Chapter 34: A Demon's True Nature

Tema was before Kaos, not quite able to answer the question or comprehend "I...set you free? What do you mean?"

"Don't give me that kid" said Kaos "you set my spirit free. For many a years I remained asleep...trapped in a prison of flesh and bone"

"You mean the...machine you were in?"

"Correctamundo...isn't that were humans say in a stupid fashion if they right about something. I've no idea how long I've been cooped up...I just slept it off. However the last couple of days...I sensed something...a strange but strong spirit"

Kaos put his fist on his chest "a spirit that continued to grow closer. Until it was right in-front of me. Then I felt it...my spirit finally free from its prison. Tell me...kid what did you do?"

"Well...your body was literally dead" said Tema calling back "the reason you were even alive...is because of wires. So I...cut them"

"So that's the how...but now the why? What drove you to do it?"

Tema looked down putting a hand on his chest "who matter who you are...no-one deserves to be trapped within their own body. It just...didn't feel right leaving you there. So I...put you to rest. And no we didn't give you any last words"

"Thank goodness for that" said Kaos rubbing his head "I was worried I was given a send-off with a heart-warming message. Still...that doesn't answer the question. So you freed me...because you felt sorry for me?"

"sort of...yeah. But more because...it just felt right"

Kaos recited the answer "because it...felt right? You are aware of who I am right? The great demonic sentinel"

"Well...no I don't" said Tema truthfully "I have heard about you...but no-one seems know you personally. You could have been good, just plain rude or demonic as everyone says"

"So...how do you judge me then?"

"I...don't know. I need longer than five seconds you know" Kaos laughed then appeared to turn see-through.

Kaos, lurched forward as his body faded and looked to great pain. So much so he fell one knee "Kaos!" Tema instinctively ran to Kaos putting his hands on his shoulders "hey...hey what's wrong?" Kaos then turned solid and in a surprise grabbed Tema by his neck

"What is the deal with you kid?" Kaos then stood up lifting Tema almost off his feet "why?" Tema was struggling for breath "Why were you so concerned just then?"

"Because...you were...in pain"

"but...I'm the demon sentinel...remember? Feared by everyone. I'm evil remember, and before you think no I don't give a stuff about anyone. So why are you different?"

"You could be a hero...or this truly evil person. You could enjoy hurting people, and like causing pain...but nothing is more horrible than the feeling of being...alone"

 Kaos slightly loosened his grip "what makes you say...I was alone?"

 "When I heard...your message. I could see it...in your eyes" said Tema "loneliness. I know...how horrible that can be" Kaos loosen his grip a bit more "I spent...years alone...in that dark place" Tema's eyes were angry...but a little teary "Pushed away by humanity...I began to hate everyone...and everything. Yet...all I wanted...was one thing"

"And...what was that?" Tema's voice dropped tremendously

"Someone...to be with"