Chapter 5

It's quiet when we get away from the school. I already feel like this is a bad idea, but I would rather do this instead of arguing with Noel on the schoolyard. Imagine all the students draw their attention to us and see him with me.. That would not be a good reputation. It's a small city, everyone knows him and what he did.

"So where am I taking you?" he says while looking at the road. I tell him the way to my house and he respond with a nod. He turns the music up on the radio. Should I tell him about Noel or.. No, of course not. But if he asks I will. If I'm lucky he won't ask. 

"Can I ask you something?" he says with his eyes still fasten on the road. Oh, here we go. 

"Yeah, sure." I answer with a low voice.

"What happened? I mean you obviously didn't want to talk to that guy you were looking at back at school." he turned to face me but turned back to the road again. "You don't have to answer, I totally understand that."

"Well I don't know you that much to tell you everything that happened but he's my ex and yeah.. I sort of freaked out when I saw him and then I saw you walking to your car so I thought that you may give me a ride. I know that sounds pathetic to ask you, someone I barely know. I'm sorry." I look down on my legs and wait for him to answer. 

"Don't be sorry. I know we don't know each other but we'll be in the same class a whole year so it would be rude not to give you a ride." he chuckles. I join him and nod understanding. He's so adorable with his dimples popping up on his cheeks. All I wanna do is to poke them.

"What a gentleman talk." I tease him and his cheeks turns red but smiles looking at the road.

"Are you afraid of him?" he asks.

"Yes, I think everyone is after what he did." I sigh and look at him. He frowns like he doesn't understand what I meant.

"If you hear the news you would get it, Noel Jones." his mouth falls open.

"Is that your ex?" I look out of the window and open my mouth to answer him.

"Yes.." I sigh. I see him wanting to say somehing but he doesn't. The rest of the ride is quiet except for the radio playing music. Luke drives in to my neighborhood and he slows down when we reach to the house. I jump out of the car and before I close the door  I turn around to Luke. 

"Thank you so much for the ride."

"No problem, see you tomorrow." he smiles and I shut the door. As I stand still and see the car drive further and further away my phone rings. I pick it up and there's 2 missed calls from Noel and 1 from both Michael and Angelina. Shit, I forgot to text them. 

"I forgot to tell you that I got a ride home, sorry." I send the text to Angelina. The door slams behind me and I take my shoes of. Noel. Oh god, hopefully the others didn't run into him back at school. Probably not, then Beth would rage and call and text me thousands of times until I would answer. My phone rings and I stop in the hallway. "Who the fuck gave you a ride home?". I ignore it, I'll tell them tomorrow. Well maybe I'll tell Calum when he gets home. We live under the same roof after all. I start to walk towards the kitchen as I smell a familiar scent. Meggie is standing in front of the stove and she's making curry chicken. My eyes focus on the wrinkled piece of paper beside her and I move closer to it to see what it is. It's a recipe, my moms recipe. I stand still and Meggie tugs as she didn't see me coming. Our eyes meet and hers is bloodshot, has she been crying? She breaks the eye contact within a second and wipes her palms against her eyes. 

"Are you okay Meggie?" I ask and put my hand on her shoulder. She looks down on my hand and smiles. 

"Yeah, sorry. I just.. I found this recipe in some old boxes with your mothers stuff and that was her favorite food and I felt for cooking it today. Are you okay with me doing it?" it was her favorite food, she used to cook it every thursday. My dad used to joke about how much she loved doing the meal all the time and that made her laugh every time no matter how many times he told the jokes. Her laugh repeats in my head. The sound that made my worst days to the best, now make my days worse. I can't believe it soon has been 10 years since the car crash and since my parents passed away. I can't believe how much I've changed since that day and everything that happened in my life. 

"Miranda?" Meggie says and I let go of my thoughts and memories for a second. 

"Sorry what?" my voice cracks. Tears filling my eyes and are ready to run down my cheek.

"Are you okay honey?"  the bulge in my throat grows. I try to take slow and deep breaths. Calm down.

"Yeah." I answer and turn on my heels and take fast steps out of the kitchen. The front door opens and Calum walks in. He looks at me with a concerned look. I turn my head down looking on my feets as I put my hands on my face. Calums footsteps walks towards me. His arms wraps around me and he rest his head against mine. 

"What did he do now?" my hands drops and I look up at him. 

"It's not about Noel.. My mom and dad. Meggie is cooking one of my moms recipe and that reminded me of how much she loved cooking and especially this meal." he stares at me with an understanding expression. 

"But you're not having the.. you know." I knew exactly what he meant. When my parents died I had panic attacks a lot for about 3 years. But then I finally went to a therapist and she learned me how to stay calm. I shake my head and Calum hugs me tightly and release me. Meggie shouts from the kitchen that the food is done. Calum and I walk in to the kitchen and takes a seat. As Meggie puts the bowl of food in her hands I stare at it until it's down on the table. I don't know why it feels so weird but I haven't eaten chicken curry since they died. But I close my eyes to let it go. I open my eyes and I grab some food and start to dig in. Meggie made it exactly like mom did it. I'm enjoying every bite of it. Damn I've missed this. 

"It was really really good Meggie." I smile at her and she smiles back with a bright smile. 

After the dinner I walk to my bedroom and Calum follows me. As I sit down on my bed Calum closes the door and opens his mouth to talk. 

"So out with it. Who gave you a ride home?" I'm embarrassed, I really don't know what to answer. Well Calum won't mind I think. 

"Luke." he frowns at me. 

"Luke? The new boy? Why?" I sigh at the thought of what I have to say next. 

"This will sound so pathetic but Noel came to school today. Or well, I saw him at the schoolyard when I waited for all of you but you never showed up. So when I saw him I hide behind a car and just wished for you to come but no. Then Luke walked toward the parking lot so I just asked him because I really wanted to get out of there." Calum starts to giggle. 

"It does sound pathetic." he keeps giggle. I tilt my head to the side and throw the nearest pillow I could reach at him which made him burst out of laughter. I shake my head and try not to laugh with him.

"Now lets change the subject and tell me what took you guys so long today, I waited for like 20 minutes." I say and he puts the pillow on the bed beside me and sit down. 

"The teacher talked to Michael after class. I think he yelled at him for the same reason all teacher does." I chuckle, of course it's Michael. We lie on my bed and talk about our day and also about Nicole until we fall asleep.

My favorite song plays on the radio in the car and I sing along to it in the back while looking out through the window. It's rainy and very foggy. I hear my mom sing along with me to the song and I stare at her sitting in front of me. She looks back on me when I stop singing but smiles and I smile back and continue singing along. Dad starts to laugh when me and my mom starts to sing unserious  which is a horrible sound and makes us all laugh. He looks at mom with a smile and one of his hands lets go of the steering wheel to grab her hand. I smile looking at them. When I look up and out of the window in front of me I frown at the weird fast moving light coming out of the fog.

"Look out!" I scream as a white car comes out from the fog and drives fast towards us. My mom screams and so do I. 

"Miranda! Wake up!" I hear Calum screaming. My eyes open fast and I breathe in deeply and my hands are shaking.  

"Fuck, you scared me to death. Are you okey?" he says and I pull him closer to me and my arms wraps around him. My head rests on his shoulder.

"Yes." I lie and let go of him. My heart is still pounding fast.

"It was just a nightmare." he squeeze my hand. It was a dream. It was just a dream. It wasn't a dream. It was a memory. It was the worst memory I've experienced in my life. 

It's been a while since I updated, but school is being a bitch ew. But I'll try update one more time this week :) comment what you think and lalal you know haha