Chapter Fifteen

The next day Jack took me to a local club where he used to perform a lot before the band got famous. I was nervous ever since he’d told me that the rest of the band was going to be there. What would they think of me? How would they react to me? “Do they know that I’m coming?” I asked for the millionth time as Jack pulled away from the apartment in his flashy car.

    “Yeah,” he waved a hand dismissively that didn’t make me believe him. “Course they do. They’re gunna love you Ruby, they love all me girlfriends.” I stared at him, which was not the best thing to say! “Oh,” he tried to backtrack, “You know what I mean. I didn’t mean it like that what I meant was-”

    “Jack it’s ok,” I laughed leaning over to plant a kiss on his smooth cheek. It was a pleasant day although there were a lot of clouds in the sky. The weather seemed to be bordering humid rather than hot and I wasn’t sure if I preferred it or not. “You know, if you’re famous now then can you get me a ticket to see Janis Joplin one day? She’s my favourite singer.”

    “Is she now?” He cocked an eyebrow.

    “Favourite female singer,” I amended with a smirk. That was payback for his previous comment. He rested his hand on my thigh and my eyes boggled, I didn’t know how to react and every thought was consumed by the fact that his hand was on my thigh. His fingers were curved around my upper leg making it tingle. I let out a little breath as I tried to control myself.

    When we got to the club I leapt out of the car with Jack watching after me with a curious frown. He followed at a more leisured pace, locking it up and slinging an arm casually around my shoulders leading me through the door.

    It was dark and dingy inside and the place stank of sweat and beer. It may have been the starting place for him but for the life of me I couldn’t work out why he wanted to return here, it wasn’t a very nice place to be. “We got our first few gigs here,” he explained as he gestured with his free hand to the cramped hall with a bar wedged in one corner and the stage backed up against the far wall. “You know a lotta bands started off playing little venues like this. All around London. It’s the only way to get noticed really.”

    “Oi, oi,” Brian laughed from under a huge velvet hat that was a brilliant shade of pink. He near enough fell off his bar stool and lumbered over to us. “Who’s this then?” A small smile pricked at the corners of his lovely mouth as we made eye contact.

    “My name’s Ruby,” I mumbled in embarrassment as I lowered my gaze.

    “Ah, Ruby Tuesday.”

    “The very one mate,” Jack laughed as he squeezed my shoulder and let go of me. “What do you think then Rubes?” He asked and when we met eyes I offered a sly smile and told him the place looked great. “She’s very polite,” he chuckled as he spoke to Brian.

     “She’s very hot,” Brian replied and my eyes flickered his way momentarily.

    “Ha! Yeah she is.”

    “Anyone gotta light on them?” I asked clearing my throat, not feeling comfortable having my appearance talked about in front of me like I wasn’t there. Both Brian and Jack pulled out a lighter at the same time but it was Brian that thrust his under my cigarette and lit it. I mumbled thanks as I took a drag, adjusting my position so I was leaning more on one leg.

    “So what’s the plan?” I asked expectantly after I had exhaled a load of smoke. I watched it waft upwards where it crept along the surface of the ceiling.

    “Plan? We aint got no plan we just wanted to chill. You know? Take things easy. Everyone’s always tryna rush us along and we just want to take some time to chill.”