Chapter seven

A.N. Turn your volume down there's screaming girls on the video! Like seriously Ruby we get it's your song stop screeching about it! Seriously though there's a screamer in the song so keep the volume down. 

SEVEN

    The train back home was fine, I’d already made my peace with Angie, it was difficult for either of us to remain angry at the other for that long. “It’s a shame that nobody else lives back at the stupid village,” she had muttered while sulkily smoking a cigarette. “There’s no one back there that would understand the importance of what happened this weekend, about me and a rock star.”

    “Write a letter to your friends then.” I suggested really not wanting to delve into yet another conversation about Jack. It just made my stomach knot up.

    Pointing at me she beamed, “that’s a good idea!” Angie perked up then after that. Her dad had said that he wouldn’t be taking us back so once we got off of the train we had a mile and a half trek to the nearest bus stop with our entire luggage. My friend did not fail to disappoint in moaning about it the entire way there.

    At least the sun was out, shining away and refusing to be covered by the few wisps of clouds that dared to challenge it. Overall, it was a pleasant spring day but I was dreading of returning to the mundane routine of work tomorrow. Reality has a way of shoving you from your cloud, hard.

    When we got off of the bus I said goodbye to Angie and we headed in the different directions to our houses. My small two bedroom house had a way of glowing warmly when the sun rested its rays upon it. Opening the door I didn’t expect dad to be home, he’d be at work. I was sort of surprised that the house wasn’t unkempt, stinking of disgusting food that he’d tried to make. It was…It was just the same as it was on Friday when I’d left it.

    I went upstairs and unpacked my things, sorting out what needed washing and what didn’t. Then, because I had nothing else to do and I hadn’t done it yet, I decided to open all of the windows and give the house a bit of a spring clean. Since my mother had ran off with her first of string of lovers when I was eight I’d learned pretty quickly to take over her jobs.

    It was hard work, cleaning was surprisingly so but it was worth it, to get the house smelling floral and good. By the time dad came home at around ten past five that evening I was already half way through cooking him his tea. “What’s all this then?” He smiled as I handed him a mug of tea. “Is it my Birthday?”

    “No,” I laughed, “I came home earlier and I had some spare time so I thought I’d get on and be useful.” He draped an arm over my shoulders and told me that I was a good girl.

    “You survived the weekend then?” He said shuffling towards his armchair in the lounge.

    “I could say the same thing about you.”

    “Nah, I’m alright, always will be. You shouldn’t worry about that, Ruby, I can look after myself when needs be.” It did sort of feel like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders at that point, I had always stayed, declined Angie’s wondrous offers and all because I thought he wouldn’t be able to cope but he could. I could breathe a little easier. “What bands were then?”

    “All the old ones,” I shook my head seriously, “I mean, it was for old men really. Angie should’ve taken you instead of me.” He chuckled, slurping on his tea. “No, Rough Justice, The Who and The Beatles were there. It was fantastic! I swear I’ve gone slightly deaf from it all though. The girls in there really screamed up their vocal chords.”

    “Did you do a bit of screaming?”

    “Not as much as them, my voice tended to break and crack every time I tried to reach their volume so I thought better not.”